Common Sandpiper

sunil singhal

Feb 6, 2010, 12:12:02 PM2/6/10
to delhib...@googlegroups.com, OrientalB...@googlegroups.com
Location                 :- Abhera Wetland, Kota, Rajasthan
Date                        :- 6 February 2010
Species                  :- Common Sandpiper
Equipment              :- Canon 40D + Canon 300 mm, f/2.8 + 2 x

With Regards

sunil singhal
Common Sandpiper.jpg

lavkumar khachar

Feb 7, 2010, 5:02:05 AM2/7/10
to sunilsin...@gmail.com, delhib...@googlegroups.com, OrientalB...@googlegroups.com
Common Sandpiper?

Lavkumar Khachar.

Vinod Kumar Gupta

Feb 7, 2010, 6:39:38 AM2/7/10
to lavkuma...@gmail.com, sunilsin...@gmail.com, delhib...@googlegroups.com, OrientalB...@googlegroups.com
Green sandpiper

Vinod

Vatsal Trivedi

Feb 7, 2010, 8:42:58 AM2/7/10
to sunilsin...@gmail.com, delhib...@googlegroups.com, OrientalB...@googlegroups.com
Looks like a common Sandpiper to me for sure. The green Sandpiper shows too much white spots all over the body which are absent here. I think it confuses due to very tight compo as bird is very close & looks huge in the image....

Regards,
Vatsal Trivedi

lavkumar khachar

Feb 8, 2010, 1:29:16 AM2/8/10
to vts...@gmail.com, sunilsin...@gmail.com, delhib...@googlegroups.com, OrientalB...@googlegroups.com
Vasal are you sure?

Lavkumar Khachar.

Sumit Sen

Feb 8, 2010, 1:38:35 AM2/8/10
to delhibirdpix
Green!
Cheers!
sumit

>  Common Sandpiper.jpg
> 150KViewDownload

Vatsal Trivedi

Feb 8, 2010, 7:49:21 AM2/8/10
to lavkumar khachar, sunilsin...@gmail.com, delhib...@googlegroups.com, OrientalB...@googlegroups.com

Saurabh Sawant

Feb 8, 2010, 8:04:26 AM2/8/10
to Vatsal Trivedi, lavkumar khachar, sunilsin...@gmail.com, delhib...@googlegroups.com, OrientalB...@googlegroups.com
Green Sandpiper

Regards,
Saurabh

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "OrientalBirdingPix" group.

Regards,
Saurabh Sawant
_
"The foot feels the foot when it feels the ground."

http://www.facebook.com/saurabh.sawant

http://www.flickr.com/photos/saurabhsawant1/

Vinod Kumar Gupta

Feb 8, 2010, 8:15:17 AM2/8/10
to vts...@gmail.com, lavkumar khachar, sunilsin...@gmail.com, delhib...@googlegroups.com, OrientalB...@googlegroups.com
I would stick with a green sandpiper because of the following reasons:

1.Colour of Upperparts(dark)
2.No shoulder(this is pretty charateristic of common sandpiper)

3.No eyestripe or supercilium behind eye(both should be seen in common)
4.The bill to  me appears long for common

5.Spots on upperparts are seen(should not be seen in common).They are less numerous in non breeding green than in breeding

However I am still open to correction by experts

Vinod

lavkumar khachar

Feb 8, 2010, 10:31:34 AM2/8/10
to Vinod Kumar Gupta, vts...@gmail.com, sunilsin...@gmail.com, delhib...@googlegroups.com, OrientalB...@googlegroups.com
Vatsal,

I do not have to look at links. I have been watching these birds since I was a boy of 15 and now I am soon to enter 80! Again chck your identification Son.

Lavkumar Khachar.

Vatsal Trivedi

Feb 8, 2010, 12:29:46 PM2/8/10
to lavkumar khachar, Vinod Kumar Gupta, sunilsin...@gmail.com, delhib...@googlegroups.com, OrientalB...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Lavkumar sir if I'm wrong. I just gave my opinion may be I'm wrong. Can you please guide me the point why I'm wrong? It will be much helpful for the beginners like me. Again sorry if I have done anything wrong....

Warm Regards,
Vatsal Trivedi

Jai

Feb 9, 2010, 4:01:52 AM2/9/10
to delhibirdpix
Hi Vatsal,

I think you are making the mistake i often make and often get
corrected by Sumit da and others...focussing too much on plumage
alone.

Vinod ji has given what seems to me is pretty good justification of
why he thinks it is Green.

The answer, I think, lies in looking out for key differences and
overall structure.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Jaideep.

On Feb 8, 10:29 pm, Vatsal Trivedi <vtsl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry Lavkumar sir if I'm wrong. I just gave my opinion may be I'm wrong.
> Can you please guide me the point why I'm wrong? It will be much helpful for
> the beginners like me. Again sorry if I have done anything wrong....
>
> Warm Regards,
> Vatsal Trivedi
>
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 9:01 PM, lavkumar khachar

> <lavkumarkhac...@gmail.com>wrote:

> > Vatsal,
>
> > I do not have to look at links. I have been watching these birds since I
> > was a boy of 15 and now I am soon to enter 80! Again chck your
> > identification Son.
>
> > Lavkumar Khachar.
>

> > On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 6:45 PM, Vinod Kumar Gupta <vkgupta1...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> I would stick with a green sandpiper because of the following reasons:
>
> >> 1.Colour of Upperparts(dark)
> >> 2.No shoulder(this is pretty charateristic of common sandpiper)
>
> >> 3.No eyestripe or supercilium behind eye(both should be seen in common)
> >> 4.The bill to  me appears long for common
>
> >> 5.Spots on upperparts are seen(should not be seen in common).They are less
> >> numerous in non breeding green than in breeding
>
> >> However I am still open to correction by experts
>
> >> Vinod

lavkumar khachar

Feb 9, 2010, 6:46:12 AM2/9/10
to chanda....@gmail.com, delhibirdpix
Vatsal,

I enjoy your photographs and open every one you offer. Keep the good work up. The next time I am in Jamnagar, we will go over all your photographs and I will tell you why this is a Green Sandpiper. More important, in the days ahead, spend time looking at all the sandpipers you come across. Your making the mistake is nothing to be sorry about, I used to do the same when I was your age. I actually made a huge mistake once by noting I had seen the Trogon of the Himalayas when actually I had seen a male Maroon Oriole high among trees!

Yours,

Lavkumar Khachar.