Unusual Nest of a Sind Sparrow

Suresh C. Sharma

Jun 14, 2022, 11:00:06 AM6/14/22
to Delhi Bird
Sind Sparrow's unusual nesting site at Mandothi, Haryana, 14th June 2022.

Can't term it abnormal nest but definitely unusual for a Sind Sparrow to make nest in this iron box fixed at about a meter height from the ground on a gas/oil transport pipeline). It being iron, must be getting quite hot during this month.

Due to rusting process, this tiny hole was  sufficient for this sparrow to go in and out.

Male bird carrying nesting material.

Suresh C Sharma
ssnest.jpg

Harkirat Sangha

Jun 14, 2022, 11:49:58 AM6/14/22
to Suresh C. Sharma, Delhi Bird
Perhaps first nesting of the species in a man-made structure.

HS Sangha

jitender dhir

Jul 1, 2022, 12:48:05 AM7/1/22
to suresh...@gmail.com, Delhi Bird

Hi,

To me it's  not  unusual .. Sparrows can make  nests which are safe from other predators though may be in reach of  humans...
The Nest would  be  deep enough to be protected even if  some cat get over the box but will not be able  to reach deep inside the box.

Many small birds doot take  humans as threats to their  nests.

I have seen the nest of  a small bird (with eggs laid) in the potted  plant put  in the open corridor  of the building and  was clearly  visible to humans, But as it was inside the building, it was safe from external threats.

Cheers,

Jiteder