Black History Month

patrici...@hotmail.com

Dec 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/30/99

famous black inventors

inventions by black americans

famous african american scientist

african-american electricity inventors

black inventor

black history inventors

Here is another article posted at http://emeagwali.com that will be of
interest to you.

Title: FAMOUS SCIENTIST HAILS FROM IGBO LAND

In this day and age when Japanese, Chinese or anyone remotely
resembling Asian descent is automatically presumed to hold superior
mathematical and technological aptitude, Dr. Emeagwali poses a
refreshing reminder (1) to the world that intellectual gifts come in
all races, creeds and colors; and (2) to Igbos that when we strive for
excellence, there is no limit to what we can achieve ... so strive for
excellence!

(PHOTO CAPTION: Dr. Philip Emeagwali, World
Renowned Computer Scientist.)

So who is Philip Emeagwali, and what has he done that has made him
so famous? Emeagwali first entered the international limelight in 1989
when he received the prestigious Gordon Bell Prize for performing the
world's fastest calculation at 3.1 billion calculations per second.
This calculation was remarkable not only because it was twice as fast
as the previous world record, but also because of the method used to
achieve this phenomenal task. Rather than use a multimillion dollar
supercomputer, Emeagwali used the Internet to access 65,536 small
computers simultaneously (called massively parallel computers).

Unity is indeed strength as demonstrated by Emeagwali's approach.
This technology is revolutionizing the oil industry as it is used to
help simulate how to recover oil from oilfields, thus helping oil
producing nations to efficiently extract more oil and increase their
oil revenues. It is also applicable to the field of meteorology as it
can be used to help predict weather patterns for the next 100 years
forecast.

Since this invention, Emeagwali has made numerous other achievements
and received dozens of honors and awards across the globe in the field
of mathematics, science and computers.

Isn't it just like an Igbo, to use existing resources and push them
to their fullest potential to achieve unsurpassed results that would
revolutionize several major industries at once. Remember Emmanuel
Egbujo, inventor of the solar powered car or Damien Anyanwu who
invented Radio Mbaise from Igbo traditional methods? Remember during
the Nigeria Biafra War when Emeagwali was a mere refugee, his kinsfolk
developed the "Ogbunigwe" bomb (popularly called the Ojukwu bucket)
which dazzled the world of super powers. They also developed a self-
sufficient petroleum refining method which Nigeria is yet to discover.

Ndi Igbo lay claim to Emeagwali's achievements not to subtract from
their magnanimity, but to remind our Igbo brothers and sisters that we
have a tradition of competitiveness and excellence. However, like many
of Nigeria's untapped resources this type of genius lies grossly
underdeveloped in millions of Nigerian children and even in ourselves.

Some of Emeagwali's inventions are so complex, that only the most
sophisticated computer scientist and mathematicians can understand
them. However, the creation of Emeagwali himself is a simple story.
Emeagwali was born to Onitsha parents, his father being a nurse and
mother a housewife. As a child, his father focused on the development
of his son's mathematical skills and required him on a daily basis to
solve 100 math problems in one hour. This method helped to develop
Emeagwali into a mathematical wizard as his abilities soon surpassed
his father's. Although showing great promise, Emeagwali's education
threatened to derail when he was forced to drop out of school at the
age 14 because his father was unable to pay his school fees. However,
Emeagwali continued to study and eventually received a scholarship to
Oregon State University in the USA where he earned a B.S.
Subsequently, he earned a Ph.D. from the University of Michigan, two
Masters Degrees from George Washington University and a third Masters
Degree from the University of Maryland. Isn't it just like an Igbo to
overcome such odds only to excel and excel and excel?

And to top it all off, Emeagwali is married to an accomplished
scientist in her own right. Dr. Dale Brown Emeagwali, renowned
microbiologist was named 1996 Scientist of the Year by the National
Technical Association. The Emeagwali's have one child.

Dr. Philip Emeagwali is truly an international treasure, and IGBO
BASICS looks forward to his appearance at the World Igbo Congress
Conference in New York. In the meantime, we can all learn more about
Dr. Emeagwali on the Internet at http://emeagwali.com.

SIDEBAR: Dr. Philip Emeagwali's Recent Awards
and Honors

1997
Nigeria Prize
the Federal Republic of Nigeria

1996
Nigerian Achievement Award

1996
America's Best and Brightest

1993
Computer Scientist of the Year

1991
Distinguished Scientist Award
National Society of Black Engineers

1991
Scientist of the Year
National Society of Black Engineers

1989
Gordon Bell Prize
IEEE Computer Society

SIDEBAR: Dr. Philip Emeagwali's Outstanding
Achievements

1990
World record for solving the largest weather
forecasting equations
with 128 million grid points.

1990
World record for an unprecedented parallel
computer speed up of
65536

1989 World's fastest computation of 3.1 billion calculations per
second

1989
World record for solving the largest partial
differential equations with 8
million grid points

1989
First successful implementation of a petroleum
reservoir model on a
massively parallel computer

1991
Distinguished Scientist Award
National Society of Black Engineers

1991
Scientist of the Year
National Society of Black Engineers

1989
Gordon Bell Prize
IEEE Computer Society

Visit http://emeagwali.com for more information.

Original article published in the July 1997 issue of IGBO BASICS.

In article <785f80$t11$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
patrici...@hotmail.com wrote:

> In article <770ci9$5...@news1.snet.net>,
> "mitchell miller" <mmi...@torringtonsupply.com> wrote:
> > My son who is in the 4th grade needs to prepare a report 50
inventions and
> > their inventors who have done the most to change the world.
> > Anyone who has any ideas on where to get this information and is
willing to
> > share it with us please let us know.
> > My son and I thank you!
> > mmi...@torringtonsupply.com
> >

> Here is an article from UPSCALE magazine on inventors.
>
> Enjoy,
> Patricia Turner
>
> We know of the famous
> African-American inventors of the past,
> Lewis H. Latimer who provided the
> filament that made Thomas Edison's light
> bulb burn so brightly; George
> Washington Carver, who developed
> peanut butter and countless other
> inventions from the peanut; and Garrett
> Morgan, who invented the first
> automated stoplight and gas mask. But,
> what about the inventors of today? We
> searched the country to find those special
> African-Americans whose creativity and
> ingenuity have, in one way or another,
> shaped our lives.
>
> Dr. Philip Emeagwali
>
> http://emeagwali.com
> Research Scientist
> Saint Paul, Minnesota
>
> Who developed the fastest computer on
> earth? Dr. Philip Emeagwali, an
> interdisciplinary computer
> scientist/inventor, used 65,000 processors
> to perform the world's fastest
> computation of 3.1 billion calculations
> per second. His design was inspired by
> the complex geometries of nature. From