OS X 10.3.9 support heads up

Mark Munz

Jun 13, 2009, 5:36:16 PM6/13/09
to dej...@googlegroups.com
DON'T PANIC .. yet

Apple's general development tool policy is that their development
tools support two releases back. Since we're at 10.5, that means: 10.4
and 10.3 are still supported. However, as Apple moves to 10.6 in
September, the supported environments will then be 10.5 and 10.4. (and
no 10.3 support).

Nothing will change in the short term, so no need to panic. I just
want to give everyone a heads up on this so there is no shock if
sometime down the road, I have to drop 10.3.9. For the near term, I
will likely have a second machine with Leopard on it that can continue
build D2 with 10.3.9 support.

--
Mark Munz
unmarked software

Hugh Hood

Jul 14, 2009, 9:40:39 PM7/14/09
to Deja IIx
Mark,

I really wouldn't worry too much about dropping support for Panther
(10.3.9).

I've been using XPostFacto on a couple of souped-up Beige G3 machines
(now almost 10 years old) to run Tiger (10.4.11) and Tiger runs more
reliably on those old machines than Panther ever did on them.

So, I would imagine that most who are still running Panther have
machines capable of running Tiger.

Now, I just hope Deja IIx support for Tiger isn't dropped for a while.
<grin>

Hugh...

P.S. - Played with the serial port stuff lately?

Mark Munz

Jul 15, 2009, 11:05:06 PM7/15/09
to dej...@googlegroups.com
> Now, I just hope Deja IIx support for Tiger isn't dropped for a while.

Apple development tools support 2 versions back, so Tiger is safe
until 10.7 is out (whenever that may be.. probably another 2-3 years
if Apple keeps to its schedule). It won't really be a huge issue until
Snow Leopard is officially out and is used as the main development
platform.

> P.S. - Played with the serial port stuff lately?

I've done some work on printing. Still working on that, then will look
more at serial port stuff.