Thanks

docperc

Nov 30, 2008, 8:23:02 PM11/30/08
to Deja IIx
Mark,

Thanks for starting this group. Over the years, I've used every
version of classic Appleworks and continued using it when switching to
the Mac, thanks to Deja ][. Fast forwarding to 2008, I have all my
Appleworks files and applications on 800K disks and no way to read
them. My last 800K drive died years ago. The newest version of
MaclinkPlus says it cannot read the data base Appleworks files I saved
to hard drive storage. A newly purchased Lacie USB floppy drive reads
the 800K disks as 720K PC disks and wants to format them for the Mac.
Could I buy a version of Deja IIx on CD from you that contains the
needed Appleworks files so I can read my old data? I'm happy to
certify to you that I am a bona fide owner of the original disks for
Appleworks 3, 4, and 5 (on Quality Computer disks). At present, I have
five Macs at home (two are hand me downs from my kids). The older Macs
run 10.3.9 which is OK for classic apps, one runs 10.4, and the newer
ones run 10.5.5.
Thanks again for keeping Appleworks accessible.

John

Howard

Dec 1, 2008, 7:23:39 AM12/1/08
to Deja IIx
What you're going to need is a vintage Mac. I happen to have come
into posession of a Mac LCxxx (It's not right here and I can't
remember if it's an LCII or later--I think later.) I need to scrub
files off it's hard drives, but once I get that done you could have it
for either pickup here in the Chicago area or for the shipping costs.
I have the monitor and an external SCSI drive for it too--would like
those to go with it.

I'm 99% sure it has the ProDOS extension file on it, which means it'll
read your 800k disks and then write to HD disks, or you could ethernet
it to your "modern" mac and transfer files that way.

Mark--thanks for keeping AW alive--I _still_ use it on a regular
basis. :)

later..................Howard