Re: tools and methods for mapping the commons of commons education

Jörg Richter

Dec 2, 2010, 7:13:05 PM12/2/10
to Nagarjuna G, Jürgen Neumann, Wouter Tebbens, josem...@gmail.com, deepa...@googlegroups.com

Dear Nagarjuna and others,

thank you Nagarjuna for providing information about your GNOWSYS project!
And thank you, Wouter, Jürgen and others for making the connection!
I would love to connect our projects in one way or another.

Let me introduce the DeepaMehta project here and start the discussion about a possible collaboration.

Philosophy:

The broad vision of DeepaMehta is to provide knowledge workers a cognitive adequate user interface and to support the process of building structures (ontologies) and content collaboratively. We think the current application-centered user interface has to be superseded by a user interface that is centered around the user's working contexts.

We believe that knowledge never exists in a machine, but only in heads. Creating knowledge is an individual process that is not accessible by mathematical methods.

We believe there is a canyon between formalized semantic and "living space semantic". Living space semantic is determinded by a situated cognitive being. This canyon is an constitutive element in the socio-technical system and can't be removed by technology.

We believe semantic technologies can provide a benefit to normal computer users if a fundamental re-conceptualisation of the user interface and real-world usage scenatios are part of this research.

We believe computers will benefit learning and collaborative work best when they are designed
as a supportive tool that leverages the user's cognitive capabilities (like visual intelligence) as well as hers social capabilities (like building shared structures of meaning).

Technical:

The DeepaMehta data model is inspired by both, Topic Maps and RDF.

As database we currently use the graph-based Neo4j. Though, the persistence layer is DB-agnostic.

Java-based application server with a REST interface.

The standard webclient is based on Javascript/AJAX and HTML 5 canvas.

Modularition is key. There is a framework for plugin developers. Plugins can 1) provide type definitions, 2) provide application logic (server-side Java), and 3) extend the GUI (client-side Javascript).

Each plugin is an OSGi bundle.

Usage:

Best way to start with DeepaMehta is a local installation (current stable release is DeepaMehta 3 v0.4.3). Installation is very easy: just unzip and start. Only requirements are Java and a modern web browser. Deinstallation is very easy as well: delete the DeepaMehta folder.

Start here:
https://github.com/jri/deepamehta3

(The online DeepaMehta sandbox installations mentioned by Jürgen are currently not up-to-date and not recommended).

Data transfer:

For the moment we have a "Topic Importer" tool (available via the "Special" menu) which allows to create topics (nodes) from a comma or tab separated text representation, possibly transformed on-the-fly via regex.

Currently we can't read/write XTM or RDF files. This will come in the future.

Documentation:

Documentation about DeepaMehta 3 is rather limited. DeepaMehta 3 is a rewrite of DeepaMehta 2 and still quite young. There is a Wiki with some technical documentation:
https://github.com/jri/deepamehta3/wiki

Connecting GNOWSYS and DeepaMehta:

Nagarjuna, I would love to connect our projects in one way or another. As you suggest the first task could be to import GNOWSYS data in DeepaMehta. Possibly GNOWSYS could benefit from DeepaMehta's interactive GUI and its working context approach. What kind of data do GNOWSYS export? Would online-access the GNOWSYS database from DeepaMehta an opportunity as well?

In case you or one of your team member is interested in such a project I would love to discuss possible solutions and to provide you with all the required information and functionality.

Discussion might take place on the DeepaMehta 3 Google Group as other DeepaMehta activists might like to participate.
http://groups.google.com/group/deepamehta3

Best wishes
Jörg Richter

www.deepamehta.de