DeepaMehta3 Nautilus Plugin v1.0b available

Malte Reißig

Nov 24, 2010, 9:14:28 PM11/24/10
to deepamehta3
Dear All,

This plugin is designed to support users of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and the GNOME Desktop and it does so through adding a button into the context menu of your file browser changing your folder window into a canvas. So the good news is, there is a prototypical file browser extension developed with python 2.7 available for deepamehta3. The bad news is, it'll probably not (yet) run on the operating system you use without some further research/development.

Herewith I want to introduce what this plugin is basically made for, and if you like the idea behind it, you can help me to make it better, bring it to the next level in many ways or just make its core features available on many other platforms which you like to use to manage your files. But before really starting, I just want to take the chance and describe here in some words what i see as a "release" by now. Then i'll tell you what the plugin does for me and why i like it.

About my releases, i just tagged a release candidate for the Nautilus-Plugin, which therewith is archived and accessible, it can be downloaded from the plugins webpage. Basically, whenever i tag my source code at one of the publicly available repositories i think that with this move, there is a more useful and more stable follow up version publicly available and archived. If i announce plugins here which do introduce new changes affecting your personal datasets, i'll always try to make sure that updates and migrations will be available at the time when a new deepamehta3 release arrives and that no one will loose any of his content, until i explicitly deny this responsibility and inform you about this in advance.

What the plugin does, taken from the plugins website: "It enriches your favourite GNOME filebrowser nautilus with a direct link to a topic map and therewith brings spatial and complex information organization to and around your files and folders. Together with the deepamehta3-foldercanvas plugin it brings any deepamehta3 topic map in harmony with any folder accessible in your unix filesystem." There is also a dedicated page in our wiki for the publication introducing the idea of this plugin. Its all about "Folder Windows as Canvas" and its to find at http://www.deepamehta.de/wiki/en/FolderCanvas

I use this plugin with deepamehta3 to frequently to integrate just the new sound recordings of talks/interviews i took with a digital voice recorder into my note taking environment. That way I am able to develop nice multimedia topic maps and annotate all the sound resources with new text notes. I also used it already to develop a presentation, because it is handy for introducing new file-resources (something you often do when developing a talk on a topic) like research.pdfs, notes.txt or appealing graphics (image-files) all these files are seamlessly integrated into your carefully arranged view. For sure, you need to set it up before.

Installation & Requirements, see and get it via "Downloads" at https://github.com/mukil/deepamehta3-nautilus

The installation of the deepamehta3-nautilus plugin is a bit more tricky, but (by now) described for the very first time at the plugins website.
"A DeepaMehta3 Installation (at least in v0.4.1) and the Folder Canvas Plugin, which brings any deepamehta3 topic map of your choice in harmony with any folder in your unix filesystem."

The mentioned deepamehta3-foldercanvas plugin was released some time ago but might be a bit hidden for you in the public deepamehta maven2 repository. Therefore i placed the command for installing and activating the plugin in the following paragraph. To install and activate the necessary plugin you can just paste the following command "URL" into your deepamehta3 terminal

start http://www.deepamehta.de/maven2/de/deepamehta/deepamehta3-foldercanvas/0.4.1/deepamehta3-foldercanvas-0.4.1.jar

Just make sure you that you deactivate your deepamehta3-filemanager plugin when you want to start working with your folder window as canvas.

Troubleshooting
This release candidate should work without any problems on any Ubuntu 10.04LTS distribution. Again, I would be very glad if some fearless Ubuntu/GNOME users can help me to get it running on other distributions of ubuntu as well or help me to identify latest issues. While trying to install it on 9.04 for example, i already encountered and reported an issue. If you want to try to install it on other distributions and you don't have a github account, for sure, you can always send reports to me directly, that would be very helpful for me. If you don't see the command popping up in your Nautilus context menu, it helps to find out what's wrong through stopping/starting nautilus from the command line through entering "nautilus -q" and "nautilus". Possible warnings and errors there are useful information for me. If you are using other operating systems i am happy to receive your pointer to development pages for porting this to other file-browsers, as long as they support python extensions.

Special Thanks to
jri for making this foldercanvas use-case real through implementing the folder synchronization command
and to
x28 for all the inspiration and the in depths talk and discussion around this.

Thank you for any kind of support through trying it out/testing this, I hope you can get started easily and just enjoy it.

Cheers,
Malte