Categorical data

Sougat Misra

Mar 5, 2018, 12:13:01 AM3/5/18
to Deducer
Is there a way to present data in Violin plot using Deducer for categorical data with 2-3 variables? An example would be Gas consumption in 3 different brands of cars when driven at a low and high speed. The gas consumption would be Y-variable and for each brand of cars there would be two kernel distribution side by side, with a total of 6 grouped dot plots separated according to the car brand.

Ian Fellows

Mar 5, 2018, 12:20:02 AM3/5/18
to ded...@googlegroups.com
Yes it is. In the plot builder select the violin geom. here is an example using the Cars93 data, which can be loaded with

data(Cars93)

--

---

Ian Fellows

Mar 5, 2018, 12:21:08 AM3/5/18
to ded...@googlegroups.com
oh, but you can’t have different variables for the left and righthand side of the violin.

Ian

On Mar 4, 2018, at 9:19 PM, Ian Fellows <ifel...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes it is. In the plot builder select the violin geom. here is an example using the Cars93 data, which can be loaded with

data(Cars93)

<Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 9.18.20 PM.png>

Ian Fellows

Mar 5, 2018, 12:26:13 AM3/5/18
to ded...@googlegroups.com
you can add an additional variable by adding it as a color “fill”

Sougat Misra

Mar 7, 2018, 12:58:27 AM3/7/18
to Deducer
Thanks Ian. I think I could not explain it correctly. I am thinking something like the following.

Image result for violin plot
Any graph type for such categorical data would make the tool extremely useful for Biologists.

Also, can you please suggest where can I find the details of all the commands in plotting.

Many thanks again for developing such a cool tool. I just love it.

Best regards,

Sougat