MRI evp in cylindarical coordinate

Luis

Jun 17, 2024, 3:22:44 PMJun 17
to Dedalus Users
Hi Dedalus Community!

I want to implement an eigenvalue problem to solve the linear growth rate of MRI in cylindrical coordinate. I saw a recent post regarding using disk basis for 3Dsimulation: https://groups.google.com/g/dedalus-users/c/a9MJHPjDFt8. I just begin implementing this and my starting point is to create a coordinate that is a direct product of d3.Coordinate('z') and d3.PolarCoordinates('phi', 'r'). I soon found that I cannot extract unit vector of this system using coords.unit_vector_fields(dist). I wonder does dedalus support periodic cylinders for now? If so, how should I initialized the normal vectors in cylindrical coordinate. I attached my code below for your reference.

Thank you!

Best
Hongke
mri_cylindrical.ipynb

Keaton Burns

Jun 18, 2024, 7:31:13 AMJun 18
to dedalu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hongke,

This is still under development, but is going well and we expect it to release working examples of periodic cylinder problems soon.  In the meantime, if you just want to do an EVP with some axial wavenumber kz (as opposed to a true 3d simulation), you can follow the pipe flow EVP example here:

Best,
-Keaton