Resolving the Availability-Finality Dilemma, or, Fixing Ethereum 2.0's Consensus Protocol

Dionysis Zindros

Apr 6, 2021, 3:11:44 PM4/6/21
to decr...@googlegroups.com
Tomorrow, Wednesday, April  7, 2021, 03:00 PM UTC, Joachim Neu from Stanford University will present "Resolving the Availability-Finality Dilemma, or, Fixing Ethereum 2.0's Consensus Protocol".

Abstract: The CAP theorem says that no consensus protocol can be live under dynamic participation and safe under network partitions. To resolve this availability-finality dilemma, we formalize a new class of flexible consensus protocols, ebb-and-flow protocols, which support a full dynamically available ledger in conjunction with a finalized prefix ledger. The finalized ledger falls behind the full ledger when the network partitions but catches up when the network heals. Gasper, the current candidate for Ethereum 2.0's beacon chain, aims to achieve this property, but we discovered an attack in the standard synchronous network model. We present a construction of provably secure ebb-and- flow protocols with optimal resilience, based on black-box composition of an off-the-shelf dynamically available and an off-the-shelf partially synchronous BFT protocol.

Join here: https://zoom.us/j/98832732443?pwd=ZXRYSDVOTStHc2UyOUozVERyRmJjdz09

Password: KhxH3h

More seminars: https://decrypto.org/seminar