Expected Balanced Uncertain Utility

Simon Grant

Jun 26, 2024, 9:15:47 PMJun 26
to decision_theory_forum
Dear All,

Berend Roorda, Jingni Yang and I have just completed a reversion of our paper “Expected Balanced Uncertain Utility”, a copy of which is available by clicking on the following link:

Abstract:
We introduce and analyze expected balanced uncertain utility (EBUU) theory. A prior and a
balanced outcome-set utility characterize an EBUU decision maker.  Conditional on a reference or
``balancing value'', the latter assigns a utility to each outcome-set.   The decision maker associates
with each act, its envelope, the minimal measurable mapping from states to outcome-sets that contains
the act. She then (implicitly) ranks an act  according to the balancing value at which the expected balanced utility
of its associated envelope is zero.  As a consequence her risk preferences need only exhibit betweenness allowing
for behavior that can accommodate Allais-type paradoxes.

Regards,
Simon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Simon Grant,
John C. Harsanyi Professor of Economics
Research School of Economics,
HW Arndt Building 25A, Kingsley St
The Australian National University
ACT 2600, Australia ​
(Ph)+61-(0)466 522 603
simon...@anu.edu.au
Personal Website

TEQSA Provider ID: PRV12002 (Australian University)
CRICOS Provider: 00120C