a paper on the diversity-meritocracy tradeoff

M. Bumin Yenmez

Jan 11, 2023, 10:23:27 AM1/11/23
to decision_t...@googlegroups.com, Isa Emin Hafalir, Fuhito Kojima, 横手康二
Dear All,

Isa Hafalir, Fuhito Kojima, Koji Yokote, and I recently completed a paper on the diversity meritocracy tradeoff. It's mostly a choice-theoretic study. We use discrete convex analysis and matroid theory and also establish new results in these fields.

You can find our paper on Arxiv:
https://doi.org/10.48550/arXiv.2301.00237

The abstract of our paper is as follows:    "We provide optimal solutions to an institution that has dual goals of diversity and meritocracy when choosing from a set of applications. For example, in college admissions, administrators may want to admit a diverse class in addition to choosing students with the highest qualifications. We provide a class of choice rules that maximize merit subject to attaining a diversity level. Using this class, we find all subsets of applications on the diversity-merit Pareto frontier. In addition, we provide two novel characterizations of matroids."

Please let us know if you have any comments.

Best,
-bumin

---
M. Bumin Yenmez