Intro to Fusion 360 class?

Michelle Sleeper

Oct 30, 2018, 12:00:59 PM10/30/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com
Hey there Decatur Makers! It was great talking to so many of you this past weekend at Maker Faire.

I was talking to a few people about an "intro to Fusion 360" type of class - Would there be a lot of interest for this? I had a number of props that I 3D modeled (shown here) in an hour or so and 3D printed recently and the subject came up.

If you are into 3D printing, being able to create your own models is an invaluable skill.

--
Michelle Sleeper
Atlanta maker, artist, and educator

Axe v16.png
Keys v5.png
Rune of Earth Magic.png
Death Knight Sword v6.png

rokuk...@gmail.com

Oct 30, 2018, 12:03:30 PM10/30/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com
YES. I’ve been struggling to learn F360 on my own, could really use some instruction from an actual human being.

Aaron
<Axe v16.png>
<Keys v5.png>
<Rune of Earth Magic.png>
<Death Knight Sword v6.png>

Amy Kinard

Oct 30, 2018, 12:09:51 PM10/30/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com
I’m very interested
--
Amy Kinard
404.276.1869

Maureen Haley

Oct 30, 2018, 12:59:12 PM10/30/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com
I'm definitely I interested.  I try to watch video tutorials,  but it seems like people love to wiggle their mouse around and the flickering changes of the sketches and planes make me nauseous.

Richard West

Oct 30, 2018, 2:39:09 PM10/30/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com
I would be interested as well!

Irm Diorio

Oct 30, 2018, 7:21:31 PM10/30/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com
Count me in too!
Michelle, I'll reach out to you to talk details. Thanks for sharing here!

Josh Freeman

Oct 30, 2018, 8:46:38 PM10/30/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com
I'd be interested

Josh Freeman
W4JKF

Rivers Family

Oct 30, 2018, 8:52:06 PM10/30/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com
I would love it.

Scott Kelsey

Oct 30, 2018, 9:38:45 PM10/30/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com
I'd be interested as well, thanks.

Alicia McGill

Oct 30, 2018, 9:53:55 PM10/30/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com
Count me in :)

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 12:01 PM Michelle Sleeper <msle...@gmail.com> wrote:

Newton White

Oct 30, 2018, 10:43:30 PM10/30/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I would be interested.

Newt
<Axe v16.png>

Charles Shapiro

Oct 30, 2018, 10:43:30 PM10/30/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com
Hmm.  Might be interesting, but I don't usually have access to Winders machines.

-- CHS

David Doodleslice Cohen

Oct 31, 2018, 9:47:47 AM10/31/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com
Yes. I’ve played with F360 a little and would definitely like to know more 😊👍

Dennis Glover

Oct 31, 2018, 10:07:48 AM10/31/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com
I’d be interested too.

From the desk of Dennis Glover

Michelle Sleeper

Oct 31, 2018, 10:13:24 AM10/31/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone! WOW there seems like a lot of people who want to learn Fusion! That's awesome. I'll be talking with Irm and Decatur Makers about making this happen soon!

Scott Kelsey

Oct 31, 2018, 11:49:53 AM10/31/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com
F360 is available for the Mac, that's where I run it.

Steve Bloom

Oct 31, 2018, 7:01:18 PM10/31/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com
count me in!

minue...@gmail.com

Nov 1, 2018, 11:57:40 AM11/1/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com

I have an AutoCad Student/Teacher account which gives me access to Fusion.  It’s installing right now.

My recent efforts with AutoCad haven’t been very productive.  I hope I don’t open a black hole with this one…… 😃

Jennifer

Emily Simonds

Nov 3, 2018, 8:19:57 AM11/3/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com
I also would take a Fusion 360 class. I have pretty extensive experience with other modeling software, but definitely want to branch out and learn this new piece of software.

TanyaW

Nov 4, 2018, 12:33:40 AM11/4/18
to Decatur Makers
Please add me to the list. I've taken a previous course, but I'm still waiting for that A-HA moment!

Patrick Crawford

Nov 4, 2018, 11:07:52 AM11/4/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Michelle!

It was great seeing you and your work and demos at MFA! I’d love to attend if my schedule allows.

Cheers,
Patrick

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 4, 2018, at 12:33 AM, TanyaW <tanya...@gmail.com> wrote:

Please add me to the list. I've taken a previous course, but I'm still waiting for that A-HA moment!

atlf...@gmail.com

Nov 4, 2018, 12:12:49 PM11/4/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Michelle,

So sorry I missed your setup at Maker Faire ATL this year. Sounds like you had cool Fusion stuff to show.

I guess this is my moment to say 'Me Too' to the Fusion class.
And I agree wholeheartedly with what Maureen said above, it is quite frustrating to watch the videos because the screen capture software most of the presenters use is usually too low-res to follow what the cursor & software are doing. Even the classes given by AutoDesk are at fault in this regard.
Hey, perhaps we can even start a monthly MeetUp group for this eventually; there seems to be plenty of interest for it here.

So, here's to myself and other 360 procrastinators swallowing that big Fusion 360 pill and finally getting acquainted enough to actually use it.
YAY!...
-Michael

Michael Fletcher
__ [DM Facilities Committee]
Email:      ATLf...@Gmail.com

John H. O'Kelley

Nov 4, 2018, 6:16:53 PM11/4/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com
John O'Kelley would also be interested in a Fusion 360 class.

Jennifer Lawrence

Nov 4, 2018, 6:38:16 PM11/4/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com
Me too.

Jennifer Lawrence
Sent from my iPad

Bruno Bronosky

Nov 4, 2018, 9:47:31 PM11/4/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com
I might be a little beyond an intro class, but I really look forward to having a Slack channel full of people to ask Fusion360 questions. A web forum is just too slow of turn around.

I might attend anyway. I might be able to volunteer to help you out. I’d need to see the curriculum first.

.!# BrunoBronosky #!.

Irm Diorio

Nov 5, 2018, 8:54:30 AM11/5/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com
Wow, definitely seems like Michelle has scratched an interest itch here!

Most likely, there is a range of experience here with using 3D modeling software; Some of you may be looking for a more general modeling intro class and others, with more experience, may want to learn how Fusion 360 is different/better than other software you've worked with.

So, we could start with a discussion group format similar to our Arduino + Pi Users Group that meets monthly. This could also help better define what direction Michelle (and others) should take for teaching classes.

Would anyone be interested in facilitating/leading the first discussion?
Let me know and we'll put something on the calendar.

Bill

Nov 5, 2018, 9:08:55 AM11/5/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com

How about a Fusion360 slack channel for starters?

Wow, definitely seems like Michelle has scratched an interest itch here!

Jennifer Lawrence

Nov 5, 2018, 9:16:28 AM11/5/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com
👍

Jennifer Lawrence
Sent from my iPad

Chris Goode

Nov 5, 2018, 9:55:48 AM11/5/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com
Done! Join the #fusion360 channel on slack!

Sent from my iPhone

Chris Goode

Nov 5, 2018, 9:56:48 AM11/5/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com
I’m happy to help. Michelle would you be free before our members meeting/open build Wednesdays at 6?

Sent from my iPhone

Michelle Sleeper

Nov 5, 2018, 9:58:39 AM11/5/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I am planning to be at the space on Wednesday, I'd be happy to talk about plans for a class or meetup, so that we can move forward in the best way to service what is clearly a highly desired skill set in the DM community :)

Chris Goode

Nov 5, 2018, 10:02:17 AM11/5/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com
Sweet! Let’s invite anyone who is interested to join us this Wednesday at 6 to talk about what people would like to do with Fusion and where to go from there...

Chris Goode

Sent from my iPhone

Irm Diorio

Nov 5, 2018, 10:12:27 AM11/5/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com
Well, this Wed at 6pm is our New Member Orientation so let's find another day or time.

Also, let's take the planning off-line and then we can set up a MeetUp and share with the larger group.

For those folks that need an invite to Slack to join the #fusion360 channel group (thanks for setting it up, Chris!), please send an email to in...@decaturmakers.org and we'll hook you up.