laser cutting formica?

David Doodleslice Cohen

Jun 15, 2018, 6:51:41 PM6/15/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com
I've been checking the materials do's and don't's for the Glowforge and couldn't find anything about formica, but I have a handful of formica sample chips that I'd like to cut if it is safe.  Anyone know another resource? Wikipedia wasn't very helpful. I found this: http://cncroi.com/laser-cutting-formica-tale-three-little-formicas/ which didn't mention anything about fumes.

On a separate, but related note, does anyone know a good resource for purchasing inexpensive acrylic sheets?

Thanks!

David

John Olthoff

Jun 15, 2018, 7:52:45 PM6/15/18
to 'Clarence Mitchell' via Decatur Makers
Regarding acrylic, best I’ve found is Calsak plastics— 1/8” 4x8’ sheet for ~$80.

John Olthoff

Kevin Arne

Jun 15, 2018, 7:57:10 PM6/15/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com
As for formica, the glue that binds the plastic together is generally formaldehyde-based, so I wouldn't recommend cutting it on the Glowforge. It would work fine on laser cutters with better ventilation systems though.
Kevin

John Olthoff

Chris Goode

Jun 15, 2018, 8:32:41 PM6/15/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com
Hi all - I did engrave then cut a very small piece of formica on our GF after reading the back and forth on the GF forums. I think the consensus there was that the amount of formaldehyde in the laminate was very low - but see attached MSDS that mentions proper ventilation for laser cutting. We had been cutting laminates on the older laser engraver in the space.

I will say that the backing on thick pieces of Formica-branded laminates absorbs so much energy that it’s pretty tough to get through the whole sheet, but for very thin laminates it will cut through on the medium density draft board settings, maybe slow the speed 10%.

If there are broader concerns about venting those waste gases outside (or the small amount that escapes into the space) I’ll defer to the group.

Cheers,
Chris

fm_Formica MSDS.pdf

David Doodleslice Cohen

Jun 15, 2018, 8:57:47 PM6/15/18
to decatu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the additional input, but since there is some doubt I think it is best to err on the side of caution. Thanks!