decapod camera mounting hardware Oct 9 email

Dana Ayotte

Oct 22, 2012, 3:08:22 PM10/22/12
to dec...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jon,
I wanted to send you some links that I found and a couple of ideas for our discussion tomorrow.  After looking at these sites and some other camera equipment sites etc. I had a couple of ideas.  I did try to find a pre-assembled mounting bar/tripod and spoke to someone at a camera shop about it but it sounds like it might be hard to find something like that off the shelf.

I attached a very rough sketch of an idea.   I was picturing a tripod with a mounting bar permanently assembled but which can rotate 90deg and slide down for collapsing - so the mounting bar becomes a sort of fourth leg when it's put away.  I imagined the adapter plate being permanently attached to the tripod but able to lift up (spring loaded?) and rotate 90deg and snap into place.  The mounting bar would have a track on the bottom allowing it to slide on the adapter plate.  The mounting bar could slide up to the half-way point and then the whole thing (mounting bar + adapter plate) could be rotated 90deg and locked into place.

A (simpler?) idea was to take the set up in the following link and basically double everything and join the 2 assemblies with stiff rods so that the cameras are mounted flush with eachother.  This would mean there would be no tripod at all and would required a table or other surface to clamp to.  Not sure if that would be a workable solution for all decapod applications?
http://chronicle.com/blogs/profhacker/the-articulated-arm-of-an-archive-raider/29243

Here are some of the other links I found to various DIY digital copy stands, portable digital copiers and simple book cradle ideas:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Portable-Paperless-Digital-Copy-Machine/
http://www.image-acquire.com/ion-book-saver-will-be-out-this-summer/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattherbison/3630343436/
http://www.varologic.com/blog/post/2008/11/15/Cricket-Laptop-Stand.aspx