decapod camera mounting hardware

Dana Ayotte

Oct 22, 2012, 3:05:40 PM10/22/12
to dec...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jon,

I think you said you were compiling a list of parts to purchase (could you send it to me or post in google docs?) -- I was thinking that one of the dual camera mounting brackets shown in the links below would be great to try with the tripod with horizontal centre column.  I like the first one best (OEC) as it looks simpler, cheaper and lighter.

High quality, heavy duty camera bracket. Allows you to mount 2 cameras on one tripod. 5/ 16" (8mm) thick aluminum. 30cm (11 7/8") in length, 3cm (1 1/4") in width. weighs 6.5 oz (184g).

√ Great for stereo photos
√ 30cm in length
√ 5/ 16" (8mm) thick aluminum
√ weighs 6.5 oz (184g).
√ Allows you to mount 2 cameras on one tripod.

(weight?)
    DPG-3016,heavy duty camera bracket,can be used for mounting 2 cameras on one tripod.
    300mm with numerous threaded holes: six 1/4"-20 sockets and one 3/8"-16 socket. M3 holes in twelve different positions on upper rail for mounting safety stop screws.
Size approx L440 x W90 x H50mm. Weight 850 g.

For a cheaper and perhaps lighter solution I'm continuing to look for simple mounting plates and other brackets with applications outside of cameras etc. that could be mounted on the tripod.  Regarding the template we talked about creating for DIYers - I'm thinking it could be as simple as an aluminum plate with a 3/8" slot running down the centre (or 3 shorter slots) where the tripod/arm and cameras could be mounted with wing nuts and washers.  This would be as short as possible while still providing enough space for the two cameras and whatever distance is required between the lenses.  It would be great to try this out too.

Jonathan Hung

Oct 23, 2012, 9:51:12 AM10/23/12
to dec...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sending this along Dana.

Unfortunately the OEC product doesn't ship to Canada. Maybe we can track down a vendor who ships internationally or is in Canada?

Also I found this product on eBay. It looks similar to the OEC part:

The heavier bars may be good for applications with heavier cameras. I think for our testing purposes, we can go with the lighter units but still recommend the heavy mounts to users if they feel it's necessary.

Also at some point, we will need to start talking about Structured Light capture which is our other method of creating 3D models of book surfaces from a camera. Maybe we can talk about that today as well.

- Jon.

JONATHAN HUNG

INCLUSIVE DESIGNER, IDRC

OCAD UNIVERSITY

Inclusive Design Research Centre

205 Richmond Street W, Toronto, ON, M5V 1V3