CloudFlare

Garfield WTF

Dec 24, 2010, 5:41:54 AM12/24/10
to Komuniti Pengguna Debian
Recently I've been testing a new service called CloudFlare.
It works like cloud+CDN.

What it do is it will cache our website's images, css file,
javascripts files and distribute them to all their servers around the
globe, and it work like a CDN network.
On top of that, it also provide features like masking the email
address we posted in the website from those email harvesting bot and
only display it to human viewers.
It also block those malicious bots from reaching the website.
All these function can be turn on and off in their dashboard.

If we need to use it, we will have to point out domain name to their
nameservers. Each accounts are allocated different nameservers to
handle the DNS.
Then when we view the website, we are actually connecting to their
servers and their server will serve as a proxy with CDN function, then
forward the website to our browser.

If our web server is down, usually we will not able to reach the
website, rite?
But this 1 they will show a page saying the website is temporary not
available and inform the visitor to come back later.

Another advantage is, when you pointed the domain to their nameserver,
it will show only their IP address and when people trying to DDOS, it
will be DDOSing their server and their server will block the DDOS.

Since a lot of static contents is served from their CDN, it also
reduced the load and bandwidth of our own hosting.

I have tested it on my other website http://tech-news.tk and it seems
works very well so far.

If after 1 week more I am using this and have no problem at all, I
would like to propose to use this free service for our portal to get
advantage from this free service.

Umarzuki Bin Mochlis Moktar

Dec 24, 2010, 10:46:20 AM12/24/10
to deb...@googlegroups.com
sounds great. Whatever rocks the boat! :-D

Garfield WTF

Dec 27, 2010, 4:47:27 AM12/27/10
to deb...@googlegroups.com
i am still testing it.
if after 1 or 2 weeks, it works great, then only we use it for the portal
:)

--
GarfieldWTF
Debian User Community (Malaysia)