Stupid question maybe.

Nicolas Bouthors

Jan 30, 2002, 11:47:25 AM1/30/02
Jason Lim said :
>> Perhaps use B to bridge the two ethernet segments so that they can
>> communicate, so you can connection from A to C "directly"?

Mmmm no.

I guess I have to describe more the situation : A is here, and is
behind a firewall/NATing gateway. I work on it. B is hosted $FAR_AWAY
and has a public IP. C is hosted in the same $FAR_AWAY location but is
behind B, acting as firewall for it.

C is therefore "invisible" from anywhere, except for B.

Here is how it looks :

A----------GW+NAT-------Internet-------B-----C
192.168.x.y ^ ^ 10.0.0.x
Public IP #1 Public IP #2

--
nic...@bouthors.org -- http://nicolas.bouthors.org/ -- +33 6 2071 6234
Administateur Systèmes et Réseaux -- GHS -- 38, Rue du Texel

Jason Lim

Jan 30, 2002, 12:07:25 PM1/30/02

> C is therefore "invisible" from anywhere, except for B.

Do you WANT C to be invisible from outside, for security or something? Is
there a reason you want to go through B to get to C?

Eetu Rantanen

Jan 30, 2002, 7:17:25 PM1/30/02
On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Nicolas Bougues wrote:

> > So if I want to rsync from A to B, rsync -e ssh /some/dir B:/some/dir is
> > enough, but what should I do to go straight fro A to C ?
> >

> I see two possible solutions :
>
> - launch rsync on machine B. From machine A, this would look like :

> - or try to forward the ssh connection :
>
> rsync --rsh="ssh <machine B> ssh" <machine C>:/some/dir /some/local/dir
>
> I tested this second solution, and I can't see how to make ssh ask the
> second password (for machine C). It complains it has no controlling
> tty. It works well if you setup your ssh to connect without passwords
> from B to C, however (by trusting keys).

Try it with ssh -t,
-t Tty; allocate a tty even if command is given.

It'll then prompt for the password.