using ldap auth

Javier Loureiro Varela

Mar 11, 2003, 8:17:53 PM3/11/03
I´m running a ldap directory in replacement of the normal /etc/passwd
accounts, and the system is working correctly.

I used the libnss-ldap to enable ldap on the system, with this
configuration:

passwd: files ldap
group: files ldap
shadow: files ldap
hosts: files ldap dns

My actual problem is that it works only if the current user is root.
It´s like only root may access to the ldap server, or the nss
resolution. As root, if I type a ´ls -l´, the uid/gid of the files are
displayed with the correct user name, but if I do it as a normal user,
I get only the numeric value of the uid/gid. And as root, I type
'getent hosts', and all the hosts on the ldap directory are displayed.
But as normal user, only the wroted on the /etc/hosts are dumped.
Enabling maximum log in the slapd daemon displays that the system isnt
querying when I´m not root.

Has anyone done this before on a debian box? I´d like to start a
discussion about ldap auth, as I read some people complaining on this
newsgroup about bugs/missconfigurations on the openldap
implementation, and the debian packages. For your reference, I´m using
actually only stable woody packages, as I´d like to setup this for a
production enviroment.

pd. to setup all this stuff, i followed an excelent tutorial in
http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/docs/ldap-auth.php

Javier Loureiro Varela

Mar 12, 2003, 9:02:11 AM3/12/03
I found the root of the problem... the /etc/libnss-ldap.conf file is
readable only by root.

Afterwards, I got another issue with pam_ldap.so. If I use it, I get
a segmentation fault. I´ll look more deeply arround this, but if
anyone else has something to comment....