Debian in 100 MB ?

Peter Billson

Jan 31, 2002, 7:14:00 AM1/31/02
We are running a router/firewall from a standard Debian distro using
111Mb, but this includes keeping a local set of logs so getting to your
100Mb mark should be easy.

To duplicate the machine after the first set up either dd to a second
disk, and change config files, or do a standard install and do a dpkg
--get-selections '*' > package.list from the master and a dpgk
--set-selections < package.list on the second, third, etc. machine.
Finish up with a apt-get dselect-upgrade and you have a second machine
with all the same packages.

You also could burn the system to a CD and run from there.

I'm curious where your 100Mb goal came from?

Pete
--
http://www.elbnet.com
ELB Internet Services, Inc.

Peter.De...@netcom-kassel.de wrote:

> Hi List !
>
> I´d like to get a Firewalling LINUX with IPTABLES into 100 MB for use on a
> couple of ADSL/ISDN/ETH Firewalls.
> For this I`d like to use a stock debian, install onto a slightly larger
> partition and (scripted) remove excess software to make the 100 MB image.
> Advantage for me would be the use of APT on the larger partition to keep
> the software up to date.
>
> Is this the right way to do it ? I could not find a small debian based
> distro with IPTABLES/DSL/ISDN support...
>
> Cu
> Pete

Stephane Bortzmeyer

Jan 31, 2002, 8:55:51 AM1/31/02
On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 12:09:27PM +0100,
Peter.De...@netcom-kassel.de <Peter.De...@netcom-kassel.de> wrote

http://www.pingoo.org/Routeur/English/welcome.html