New mailing list about packaging Sage for Debian

Samuel Lelièvre

Aug 10, 2016, 2:48:59 PM8/10/16
to Debian-Sage, sage-packaging
Hi all,

I am forwarding below a message about a newly created list
called "debian-science-sagemath", devoted to the packaging
of SageMath in Debian.

The message I am forwarding was sent by Jan Groenewald
to sage-devel [1] and was itself the forward of a message
by Tobias Hansen to the "debian-science" list.

Best, Samuel

From: Tobias Hansen <tha...@debian.org>
Date: 10 August 2016 at 01:17
Subject: SageMath packaging status update

Hi Debian Science,

I thought I'd give you an update about the packaging of SageMath in Debian.

Since the last update we have improved our methods quite a bit. We now
have a mini-dinstall (our own little APT repository) which allows us to
always have a set of packages available that makes it possible to build
SageMath. We have an up-to-date SageMath (7.3) that can be built using
Debian packages to fulfill most dependencies. One can run the test
suite, but we didn't create an installable package yet.

We are currently working on packaging the last small dependencies and
making the tests pass. Help is always welcome, it would be awesome if we
could manage to ship SageMath in Stretch. More details can be found on
the Wiki page [1].

Since today we also have our own mailing list to discuss issues
regarding SageMath packaging. [2]

Best,
Tobias

--