mariadb connector with SYSTEM VERSIONING (temporal tables)

Eric Pomeranz

Jul 4, 2024, 2:28:25 AMJul 4
to debezium
Hi All,

We are trying to setup a connector to read CDC from a mariadb with temporal teables (SYSTEM VERSIONING). Is it currently possible to do this with debezium?

And follow-up question, I saw that Chis Cranford is currently working on a dedicated maraidb connector (https://issues.redhat.com/browse/DBZ-7693). @Chris, if you are out there, will this connector include the possibility of working with mariadb's temporal tables? Do you have a rough estimate of when it could be ready? And is it possible to compile the code even if some features like SSH or the full documentation are not fully ready to use it on our mariadb database?

Thank you!
Eric

Chris Cranford

Jul 8, 2024, 9:56:51 AMJul 8
to debe...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric -

That's a great question.

There was a recent issue [1] that was fixed to allow parsing DDL with the "SYSTEM VERSIONING" clause in Debezium 2.5.2.Final and 2.6.0.Final.  But our current test suite does not test for these specific types of tables, so its possible they're not supported if the table metadata queries failed to record the table structures at connector start-up.  If you could run a test and let us know, that'd be wonderful (assuming you're using one of or a later version of Debezium mentioned above).  The great news to my knowledge is that these tables are recorded in the binlog.

As for the MariaDB connector, that standalone connector was released in 2.7.0.Final last week, so its already in the community's hands and ready to go.  The documentation for the connector should be coming soon, its still in the works, and we hope it doesn't lag behind for too much longer.  There is a preliminary PR [2] for the documentation, if you need to find anything specific in the meantime.

Let me know if you need or have any other questions.
Chris

[1]: https://issues.redhat.com/browse/DBZ-7468
[2]: https://github.com/debezium/debezium/pull/5582