How "export" snapshot work?

Shlomi Lanton

Mar 30, 2021, 10:29:51 AM3/30/21
to debezium
Hey all,

I'm trying to understand how "export snapshot mode" works, more specific if I'm working on a DB that is been around for a few years, and the export mode only get changes from the point in time I create the replication slot, how do I get all the data before creating the replication slot? is "initial" still the default setting in 1.4?

Thanks

Gunnar Morling

Apr 6, 2021, 10:56:48 AM4/6/21
to debezium
Hi,

Yes, "initial" still is the default, but we're planning to change this to "exported" soon, ideally as of 1.6. Note there shouldn't be any difference in terms of which records you get with initial vs. exported, the latter just is a cleaner way of creating a consistent initial snapshot, in particular with less locking involved.

--Gunnar

Shlomi Lanton

Apr 7, 2021, 8:58:12 AM4/7/21
to debezium