Moving data from RDS Postgres into Snowflake using Debezium

Abhijith Unnikrishnan

Oct 12, 2021, 4:37:26 PM10/12/21
to debezium
Hey,

I'm looking to setup real time replication from postgres to snowflake and noticed that debezium has a postgres connector. I am not sure, if this is the right place to ask, but I have a few open question and was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction.

1. Since logical decoding doesn't support DDL changes, how does one go about issuing DDL statements in snowflake - so that both the source and destination table schemas are synchronised. I briefly went over the snowflake connector but could not find any information related to schema auto evolution. Would the JBDC sink connector be a better choice for this?

2. Does auto evolution handle default value set on a newly added column? If not, how can I backfill this default value for all the previous records in snowflake?

Thanks