Beginner's Question - where to install Debezium Connector

Daire Cunningham

May 6, 2021, 12:47:40 PMMay 6
to debezium
Hi everyone,

sorry about the basic question but I'm just finding out about Debezium now.

I'm looking to design a solution that will provide near real-time updates from on-premise SQL Server databases (of which there are several of the same schema) into Azure (Synapse Analytics data warehouse) for up-to-minute reporting.

Debezium would seem to be a good fit and I'm thinking to have the messages sent to EventHub as the Kafka for simplicity. My question is, where do you actually install Debezium? I've ready through Debezium Architecture :: Debezium Documentation and from what I can tell the recommendation (or requirement?) is to install the Debezium SQL Connector on the actual database server itself. From here it would read the CDC tables and send the messages to Kafka/EventHub. I'm worried about what kind of impact this, along with enabling CDC on the database server will have, as these are OLTP application DBs.
Can anyone give some guidance on this and whether my thinking here is correct?

Thanks in advance!
Daire

jiri.p...@gmail.com

May 7, 2021, 12:22:19 AMMay 7
to debezium
Hi,

I don't think the recmmendation is to install on db server. The recommendation is to install near to db server with network connection that will not be saturated by the Debezium/database communication.

J.

Daire Cunningham

May 10, 2021, 8:40:04 AMMay 10
to debezium