[DeBakey Library Newsletter] We're Back!

L. G. Hayes

Sep 20, 2013, 10:52:21 AM9/20/13
to debakey-libra...@googlegroups.com
Week 4, and we're off to a great start.  Just a few reminders about library resources:

Library Resources
The DeBakey Library Web Page is your link to all library resources.  On our page you will find links to our academic journals for you and your students, ebooks, print books, and many other resources.  The Teacher Resource page is designed especially for instructional information.  The password for remote access for this school year is 'astros'.  The user id is the same -- 'houstonisd'.  These databases, paid for by a state consortium and HISD, provide the foundation for student research as more of our reference materials go digital. Students also need to be proficient users of these resources as they will be expected to know how to use them at the university level.

The Research Module follows the research methodology that aligns with the Study Skills instruction.  Teachers of other subjects should encourage their students to use this page as a reference when doing research in their classes.

Library Passes
Students visiting the library during class time must have a school pass signed by the teacher.  Homeroom passes are generated in the library, but students must have a teacher signature. When students come to the library during Homeroom, they are expected to stay the entire period.  When tutorials start, students assigned to a tutorial class will not be issued a pass. If you have suggestions that might make the process easier, please share.

The Texas Computers in Education Association is a state-wide organization that is focused on integrating technology into the K-12 environment.  TCEA holds its annual conference in Austin in February, and registration has just opened.  Teachers wishing to sharpen their technology skills may consider attending the conference, which is a sister organization of the International Society for Technology in Education.

Houston LibroFEST is an arts and literature festival held at the Houston Public Library main branch at 550 Mckinney Saturday, October 5, from 1-5 p.m.  Activities include storytelling, writing workshops, and performances for adults and children.

Margaret Root Brown Reading Series

Khaled Hosseini, author of The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns, will be one of the featured authors at Inprint Houston's September presentation.  Hosseini will discuss his new book, And the Mountains Echoed, which will be available for purchase and/or signing.  The reading will be Monday, September 23, at the Brown Theater, Wortham Center at 7:30.  Tickets are $5.00.

Look for information about upcoming events and author appearances for the one book chosen for Gulf Coast Reads.  The book this year is The Dog Stars by Peter Heller.

QR Code iPad App

Have you ever wanted additional information about a book without going to the catalog? The library will start to use QR codes for that purpose.  We will start a few titles in order to get feedback, and we hope to tag many of the fiction titles in the future.  Download the QR Reader on your iPad and come to the library to find the books that have been tagged. The first teacher to bring me the code information from a book in the library wins a fantastic prize.  Practice on the code below first.  Good Luck!

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine."
Albert Einstein

--
Posted By L. G. Hayes to DeBakey Library Newsletter at 9/20/2013 07:52:00 AM