[DeBakey Library Newsletter] October Newsletter

L. G. Hayes

Oct 3, 2012, 4:31:04 PM10/3/12
to debakey-libra...@googlegroups.com

It is October, so it must be time for a book fair.  The DeBakey HS Book Fair is October 15 - 19 from 7:30 - 4:00.  In addition to the titles that students might enjoy, we will have gift  and picture books for your holiday giving.  If there is a particular title that you would like, email your request to me as soon as possible.  Come and enjoy.  We will have door prizes again this year.

Gulf Coast Reads

Join schools, local libraries, community groups, friends and neighbors during the month of October to read and discuss Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer.

October is full of book discussions, film viewings, theatrical renditions of portions of the novel, and other exciting events and activities.  Check with the public library for times and dates.

The culminating event will be a discussion with the author, Saturday October 27, at the Central Library at McKinney 2:00 - 4:30 p.m.

Library Passes

Students who wish to visit the library during Homeroom must get a pass from the library before the period starts.  The pass must be signed by the teacher, and students come after the pledge.  Also, when students visit the library during class, they need to have a pass signed by the teacher.

United Streaming

Be sure to check out the videos on our United Streaming database.  New videos have been added, and many basic topics are covered in the collection.  Our school passcode is 4138-6E7C.  If you need additional information, please let me know.

Tech Tip

Inprint Houston presents T. C. Boyle October 15th at the Wortham Theater.  He will be reading from his new novel, San Miguel, which was published in September.  The story takes place on a tiny island off the coast of Southern California in the 1880's and the 1930's.  Boyle describes his book as " a straightforward, non-ironic, historical tale of two families."

The Texas State Capitol Building will again be the site of the annual Texas Book Festival October 26th - 28th.  A long list of popular and literary authors will visit the festival, and the discussions are open and free to the public.  Go to the Texas Book Festival web page for the full schedule of events.

Banned Books Week

Banned Books Week is September 30 - October 7, and the  DeBakey Library celebrates the right of citizens to read whatever they wish.  As the use of the Internet expands, school districts continue to overly restrict web sites to the extent that these restrictions interfere with student learning and go beyond what is required for CIPA  (Children's Internet Proctection Act) compliance.

If you find that these restrictions limit your access to valuable learning tools, please write or call the Houston Independent School District, the Texas Board of Education, your state and national congressional leaders, and express your concerns.

Sir Ken Robinson: Bring on the learning revolution!

If you missed Sir Ken Robinson at the Progressive Forum in the spring, click here to listen to one of his interesting TED talks.

--
Posted By L. G. Hayes to DeBakey Library Newsletter at 10/03/2012 01:31:00 PM

L. G. Hayes

Oct 3, 2012, 5:12:45 PM10/3/12
to debakey-libra...@googlegroups.com

It's October, so it must be time for a book fair.  The DeBakey Book Fair is October 15-19 from 7:30 - 4:00.  In addition to the titles that students might enjoy, we will have gift  and picture books for your holiday giving.  If there is a particular title that you would like, email your request to me as soon as possible.  Come and enjoy.  We will have door prizes again this year.

Gulf Coast Reads

Join schools, local libraries, community groups, friends and neighbors during the month of October to read and discuss Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer.  This story follows nine-year-old Oskar Schell as he encounters a number of interesting characters in his search for information about his father, who died in the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001, and tries to find the lock that fits the mysterious key he left behind.

October will be full of book discussions, film viewings, theatrical renditions of portions of the novel, and other exciting events and activities.  Check with the public library for times and dates.

The culminating event will be a discussion with the author, Saturday October 27, at the Central Library at McKinney 2:00 - 4:30 p.m.

Library Passes

Students who wish to visit the library during Homeroom must get a pass from the library before the period starts.  The pass must be signed by the teacher, and students may come after the pledge.  Also, when students visit the library during class, they need to have a school pass signed by the teacher.

United Streaming

Be sure to check out the videos on our United Streaming database before you request an order.  New videos have been added, and many basic topics are covered in the collection.  Our school passcode is 4138-6E7C.  If you need additional information, please let me know.

Inprint Houston presents T. C. Boyle October 15th at the Wortham Theater.  He will be reading from his new novel, San Miguel, which was published in September.  The story takes place on a tiny island off the coast of Southern California in the 1880's and the 1930's.  Boyle describes his book as " a straightforward, non-ironic, historical tale of two families."

The Texas State Capitol Building will again be the site of the annual Texas Book Festival October 26th - 28th.  A long list of popular and literary authors will visit the festival, and the discussions are open and free to the public.  Go to the Texas Book Festival web page for the full schedule of events.

Banned Books Week

Banned Books Week is September 30 - October 7, and the  DeBakey Library celebrates the right of all citizens to read whatever they wish.  As the use of the Internet expands, school districts continue to overly restrict web sites to the extent that these restrictions interfere with student learning and go beyond what is required for CIPA  (Children's Internet Protection Act) compliance.

If you find that these restrictions limit your access to valuable learning tools, please write or call the Houston Independent School District, the Texas Board of Education, your state and national congressional leaders, and express your concerns.

Sir Ken Robinson: Bring on the learning revolution!

If you missed Sir Ken Robinson at the Progressive Forum in the spring, click here to listen to one of his interesting TED talks.

L. G. Hayes

Oct 3, 2012, 5:27:04 PM10/3/12
to debakey-libra...@googlegroups.com

L. G. Hayes