[DeBakey Library Newsletter] Celebrate Banned Books Week September 25 - Octob...

1 view

L. G. Hayes

Sep 23, 2010, 3:06:02 PM9/23/10
to debakey-libra...@googlegroups.com
New Format

As you have probably have noticed, our newsletter is now delivered as a blog.  It is my hope that this newsletter becomes more of a forum for sharing ideas and discussion rather than just dissemination of information.  I encourage you to comment and/or add your own topics for discussion.

Banned Books Week

The theme for this year's Banned Books Week (September 25 - October 1) is "Think for yourself and let others do the same." This event is sponsored by the American Library Association, and libraries across the country are celebrating the right to read what one chooses.  This year the DeBakey Library will screen a short film Friday, October 1, during lunch to celebrate our freedom to read.  Bring your brown bag and join us.

Some Library Guidelines

Library Databases:
If teachers need information about how to access our online streaming video, plagiarism software, or other library databases, send an email or stop by the library.  The password for remote access to our databases has changed to "rockets" for the 2010 - 2011 school year.  The user name is still "houstonisd".

Library Passes: Students visiting the library during class time must use the official school pass.  Ms. Goudeau has templates of the passes and distributes them to teachers to copy.  If students want to visit the library during Homeroom, they must pick up a pass from the library before class starts, go to Homeroom, then return to the library after the Pledge with your signature.  Otherwise students are in the hallways during the Pledge and Moment of Silence, which defeats the purpose of the exercise.

The 2010 Texas Book Festival will be October 16th and 17th at the State Capitol in Austin.  Authors include Julia Glass, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Meg Cabot, P. J. O'Rourke, Laurie Halse Anderson, T. A. Barron, M. T. Anderson and Scott Westerfield.  Go to the Texas Book Festival official site to see the complete list.  The festival also provides interesting panel discussions, music and food at the Capitol and other venues around Austin.  It is a great educational experience and a lot of fun.  Proceeds from the Festival provide grants to public and school libraries all over Texas.

Robert Reich

Brazos Bookstore and the James A. Baker Institute for Public Policy present Robert Reich discussing his new book Aftershock; the Next Economy and America's Future.  Reich is Professor of Public Policy at the University of California at Berkeley, has written twelve books, and has been in three U. S. administrations.  He is currently a commentator for "Marketplace" on publicradio.com.

Admission is free with the purchase of the book.

Pennies for Peace Campaign

Thanks to all who donated to the Pennies for Peace Campaign last year.  DeBakey collected $265.00.  According to Pennies for Peace, $20.00 can supply one student for one year; $3.00 can pay one teacher's salary for one day; $600 can pay the annual salary of one teacher.  Our small contribution can have a large impact on the lives of several students in Pakistan or Afghanistan.

Books on the Bayou 2010

Books on the Bayou is a community-wide effort designed to promote the reading of the same book at the same time and is meant to inspire reading and discussion among Houstonians.  This year's selection for Houston is Persepolis, the graphic novel by Marjane Satrapi.  The programs started August 28th  and ends September 30th.  The culminating event will be the screening of the film Persepolis at the Museum of Fine Arts.  Start time is 6:30.

Daniel Pink blogs about the article he wrote for the Sunday Telegraph about an innovative approach to classroom lessons by algebra teacher, Karl Fisch.  Fisch and Scott McLeod co-authored the video, Shift Happens.  If you have not viewed this video yet, it is available on Youtube. (Unfortunately, you must watch it at home due to restrictions on the HISD network.)

A truth that's told with bad intent beats all the lies you can invent.  William Blake

--
Posted By L. G. Hayes to DeBakey Library Newsletter at 9/21/2010 02:32:00 PM