Which mechanism is respnsible for population size decrease in eaSimple? (deap reference example)

Andrea BETTATI

Feb 17, 2020, 4:12:33 PM2/17/20
to deap-users
Hi to you all,
I'm diving a bit in the functioning of tha eaSimple algorithm as it is implemented in the regression example. I see that my population size is varying trough generations: it oscillates.
From the docs (see variations) I understood that crossover may be responsible for size augmentation, what I don't get is how the population size may decrease.
To my understanding toolbox.clone() and mutation can not delete indivisuals.
Also, selection in eaSimple is 1:1 replacement since it is called like this
offspring = toolbox.select(population, len(population))

This is really puzzling me, any help is very much appreciated :)

NITROMEDO

Mar 19, 2020, 8:17:54 PM3/19/20
to deap-users
So did you find an answer?

François-Michel De Rainville

Mar 19, 2020, 8:21:22 PM3/19/20
to deap-...@googlegroups.com
I think what you see is the number of modified individuals (evaluated). This is pretty random with probability centred around joint probabilities CXPB and MUTPB.

Andrea BETTATI

Mar 21, 2020, 11:41:01 AM3/21/20
to deap-...@googlegroups.com
Hi NITROMEDO,
I think Francois is correct, the overall pop size should be constant during all training.