Disconnected domain

SebG

Mar 21, 2016, 5:13:38 AM3/21/16
to deal.II User Group
Dear deal.ii users,

is it possible to use disconnected domains, which are coupled. I am thinking of solving an electrodynamic problem for a multi-body system embedded in vacuous media.

In vacuum the fundamental solution is known. For the bodies FEM shall be used and the "connection" is established using BEM. This is known as FEM-BEM coupling.

First approach would be to use a DoFHandler<spacedim-1,spacedim> for the boundary of each body and a DoFHandler<spacedim,spacedim> for the volume of each body. This results in 2*N DoFHandler objects and DoFs have to handled manually.

Can this be avoided?

Best Sebastian

Bruno Turcksin

Mar 21, 2016, 1:09:04 PM3/21/16
to deal.II User Group
Sebastian,

if you can, use FENothing (https://dealii.org/8.4.0/doxygen/deal.II/step_46.html). You might be able to use only one DoFHandler, I don't know. I am not familiar with BEM, sorry.

Best

Bruno

Luca Heltai

Mar 21, 2016, 2:06:26 PM3/21/16
to dea...@googlegroups.com
There is no problem with using one single DoFHandler on a disconnected mesh. And its boundary is the BEM mesh you need. You can easily extract this using GridTools::extract_boundary_mesh.

Best,

Luca

SebG

Mar 22, 2016, 9:51:44 AM3/22/16
to deal.II User Group
Thank for your replies.

For BEM-FEM
coupling, i.e. Dirichlet-Neumann mapping, the FENothing seems to be a good approach. I will try this.

I have to think how to establish a mapping between the BEM DoFHandler<spacedim-1,spacedim> and the FEM DoFHandler<spacedim>. Especially for non nodal based elements that seems to be more difficult. For nodal based elements I thought of a vertex index mapping and thereby a dof index mapping. Any ideas or comments?

Regards Sebastian