Explanation of right hand side in example 33?

Maxi Miller

Aug 15, 2017, 3:15:07 AM8/15/17
to deal.II User Group
I try to follow the math in example 33, but am not fully able to understand how the right hand side is included. According to my understanding, I have the function/vector G, multiply it with the test function z, and integrate over both over the whole area. After there are no derivatives included, I do not have to do any reformulations. Why do I then still end up with an integral over both (G\cdot z), but integrated over the border?
Thanks!

Wolfgang Bangerth

Aug 16, 2017, 9:38:44 AM8/16/17
to dea...@googlegroups.com
Can you point out where in the code this happens?

There is of course a boundary term that comes from integrating by parts the
equation. But G itself should not appear in a boundary integral.

Best
W.

Wolfgang Bangerth email: bang...@colostate.edu

Maxi Miller

Aug 16, 2017, 9:43:57 AM8/16/17
to deal.II User Group, bang...@colostate.edu
I refer to the part where the spatial residual is defined as B(w_n)(z)=...
There you integrate over G(w_n), z over \partial\Omega, but I would have expected to integrate over \Omega. I have not compared that equation with the code yet, after I already had problems with that step.

Wolfgang Bangerth

Aug 16, 2017, 11:50:27 AM8/16/17
to 'Maxi Miller' via deal.II User Group
On 08/16/2017 07:43 AM, 'Maxi Miller' via deal.II User Group wrote:
> I refer to the part where the spatial residual is defined as B(w_n)(z)=...
> There you integrate over G(w_n), z over \partial\Omega, but I would have
> expected to integrate over \Omega.

Yes, this looks wrong. A patch is here:
https://github.com/dealii/dealii/pull/4876
Thanks for pointing it out!

> I have not compared that equation with the
> code yet, after I already had problems with that step.

I suspect that it was just the formula that was wrong, and not the code, given
that it was so obvious. But take a look, and if you find anything you don't
understand about the code, ask again!

Thanks