Can I use 3D prism elements (extruded triangles) in deal.ii?

Amit Singh

Jun 24, 2022, 8:19:44 AM6/24/22
to deal.II User Group
Hi.
I am considering deal.ii for some nonlinear elasticity and fracture analysis.
From what I read in the documentation, deal.ii supports hexahedral elements much better than tetrahedral elements. My geometry looks as shown in the attached picture. The actual geometry is a boolean difference of a big sphere and a small sphere. But to exploit symmetry I am considering only one-eighth of the sphere.

 I am struggling to create a mesh that has only hexahedral elements. The best I was able to attain was a vast majority of the elements were hexahedral but there were some prism elements at the poles.

Therefore, my question is can I use prism elements in deal.ii? (Or if there is a clever way to mesh this geometry with just hexahedral elements kindly let me know.)

Regards,
Amit

MyGeometry.png

Paras Kumar

Jun 24, 2022, 9:02:11 AM6/24/22
to dea...@googlegroups.com
HI Amit,

Focusing on the question of mesh generation, it is possible to generate an automated HEX mesh using Gmsh, but since that mesh is based on Delaunay based approaches, quality may not be very good. See discussions in this thread: https://groups.google.com/g/dealii/c/o_xXAur2Ao8/m/vlAjFs5ECQAJ
Alternatively, if you just want to mesh this specific geometry, you could also get a structured (good looking) HEX mesh using the transfinite mesh approach available in Gmsh.

In my limited knowledge, cf. [https://www.dealii.org/current/doxygen/deal.II/group__simplex.html], it seems that the simplex support is still experimental. As mentioned in the link, it might be helpful to look at the tests/simplex folder. The developers can maybe provide more precise answer here.

Best,
Paras

Bruno Turcksin

Jun 24, 2022, 9:33:27 AM6/24/22
to deal.II User Group
Amit,

I think that GridGenerator::quarter_hyper_shell is what you want.

Best,

Bruno

Wells, David

Jun 24, 2022, 10:00:16 AM6/24/22
to deal.II User Group
Hi Amit,

If you are interested in using symmetry then I suspect you may also want to use periodic boundary conditions on the "internal" faces of the octant. For an example of how this works (e.g., periodic boundary conditions containing a rotation) check out step-45:

Best,
David

Jun 24, 2022, 1:26:35 PM6/24/22
to deal.II User Group
Hi Amit,
To generate hexahedral mesh, in Gmsh, you can split the volume into three part like this ,and use transfinite command on curve, surface and volume, and recombine the surface to get the hexahedral cell.

Best
Chen
截屏2022-06-25 上午1.25.00.png

Amit Singh

Jun 25, 2022, 5:05:21 AM6/25/22
to deal.II User Group
Thank you very much for your replies Paras, and David!

@Bruno: Yes that is indeed what I am looking for!
@Chen: Awesome! Thank you very much for sharing the trick.

The deal.ii community is so amazing and helpful!

Best,
Amit