LU Decomposition on multiple processors

Lucas Campos

Nov 13, 2017, 5:19:31 AM11/13/17
to deal.II User Group
Dear all,

I am using the PETSc interface to solve my system matrix, like so

 SolverControl solver_control;
 PETScWrappers::SolverPreOnly solver(solver_control, mpi_communicator);
 PETScWrappers::PreconditionLU preconditioner(system_matrix);
 solver.solve(system_matrix, distributed_dU, system_rhs, preconditioner);

where all vectors and matrices are either PETScWrappers::MPI::Vector PETScWrappers::MPI::SparseMatrix.

Today I was checking the documentation and was struck by this sentence[1]:

A class that implements the interface to use the PETSc LU preconditioner. The LU decomposition is only implemented for single processor machines. It should provide a convenient interface to another direct solver.

Is that correct? If so, what is the recommendation for direct solvers in parallel?

Bests,
Lucas

Jean-Paul Pelteret

Nov 13, 2017, 6:43:13 AM11/13/17
to dea...@googlegroups.com
Dear Lucas,

I don’t have much familiarity with our PETScWrappers, but after a quick look through the documentation I guess that the most convenient interface to a parallel direct solver would be that of PETScWrappers::SparseDirectMUMPS.

Best,
Jean-Paul

Lucas Campos

Nov 13, 2017, 8:07:06 AM11/13/17
to dea...@googlegroups.com
Dear Jean-Paul,

Thanks for the indication! I just modified the program to use MUMPS, and there was no difference,
neither in the speed nor in the solution. Right now I am interpreting this as a positive thing, as it
means the old version was correct.

However I still do not understand what that line in the documentation means. Maybe it is a leftover?

Thanks a lot,
Lucas

Timo Heister

Nov 13, 2017, 9:07:31 AM11/13/17
to dea...@googlegroups.com
> However I still do not understand what that line in the documentation means.
> Maybe it is a leftover?

Yes it probably is. Thanks for pointing that out. I just submitted a
fix here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_dealii_dealii_pull_5453&d=DwIBaQ&c=Ngd-ta5yRYsqeUsEDgxhcqsYYY1Xs5ogLxWPA_2Wlc4&r=4k7iKXbjGC8LfYxVJJXiaYVu6FRWmEjX38S7JmlS9Vw&m=stXjSgb1AyhPUy5isNdAOPkur6U5zQZ5EJcnwR63nM8&s=QIkQSB_k2y6BJY8ykryOERkGsWxOKmaV_eawFWCfbC4&e=

Best,
Timo