Difference between fe.system_to_base_index() and fe.system_to_block_index()?

Jianan Zhang

Dec 14, 2017, 7:09:30 PM12/14/17
to deal.II User Group
Hi, all,

I am using Nedelec elements to solve the Maxwell equations, which is a complex-valued problem. When search the previous works I found that Ross Kynch was using fe.system_to_block_index() to splitt the system into real/imaginary parts, while QinCe was using fe.system_to_base_index().
Any differences between these two methods? Does either one outperform the other?

Thanks in advance.

Jianan Zhang

Wolfgang Bangerth

Dec 16, 2017, 9:52:30 AM12/16/17
to dea...@googlegroups.com, Jianan Zhang

Jianan,
These functions do completely different things. You probably want to look up
the glossary entries on "Block (finite element)" to see what a block is. A
base element is explained there as well.

Best
W.

Wolfgang Bangerth email: bang...@colostate.edu

Jianan Zhang

Dec 16, 2017, 4:35:38 PM12/16/17
to deal.II User Group
Hi, professor Bangerth,

Thanks a lot. I will do as you suggested.

Regards
Jianan

在 2017年12月16日星期六 UTC-5上午9:52:30,Wolfgang Bangerth写道: