point load

mahsa.mor...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2017, 1:35:37 AM7/3/17
to deal.II User Group
Hi
I am learning how to use Deal.II recently. I want to apply point load at the point of (+1,+1) in step 8 with neuman boundary condition but I have problem in applying point load. Would you please help me? how can I apply a point load with magnitude of 10 in that point?

Thanks
Mahsa

Daniel Arndt

Jul 3, 2017, 5:46:49 AM7/3/17
to deal.II User Group
Mahsa,

I am learning how to use Deal.II recently. I want to apply point load at the point of (+1,+1) in step 8 with neuman boundary condition but I have problem in applying point load. Would you please help me? how can I apply a point load with magnitude of 10 in that point?
You probably want to use VectorTools::create_point_source_vector [1]. There are also some posts [2] considering this problem, e.g. [2].
What kind of problems are you actually facing? Can you be a bit more specific?

Best,
Daniel

[1] http://www.dealii.org/8.5.0/doxygen/deal.II/namespaceVectorTools.html#ad03b858b1a3b59003a76f6224e67efc7
[2] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/dealii/Rwl48nDtLtA

mahsa.mor...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2017, 8:06:52 AM7/3/17
to deal.II User Group
Thanks alot for your responding. actually I want to apply a point load in step 8 on the right up corner instead of those circle loads. how can i use VectorTools::create_point_
source_vector and in which part of the code?

Mahsa

Wolfgang Bangerth

Jul 3, 2017, 5:25:32 PM7/3/17
to dea...@googlegroups.com
On 07/03/2017 06:06 AM, mahsa.mor...@gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks alot for your responding. actually I want to apply a point load
> in step 8 on the right up corner instead of those circle loads. how can
> i use VectorTools::create_point_
> source_vector and in which part of the code?

Mahsa -- you use the function to build the right hand side vector,
instead of doing so yourself during assembly.

If you want to use a point that lies on the boundary of the domain, you
may want to ever so slightly move it into the domain to ensure that the
point really is found when looking for the surrounding cell.

Best
W.

Wolfgang Bangerth email: bang...@colostate.edu