How to add degrees of freedom to a specified node

wang yuan

Jun 12, 2022, 1:55:26 AM6/12/22
to deal.II User Group
Hello everyone,
 I am using extended finite element method to do crack expansion. I have a question, can I increase the degree of freedom for the nodes designated around the crack in Deal? Meanwhile, another question is can I assign different numbers of Gaussian integral points to different elements? Thank you for your help!

Wolfgang Bangerth

Jun 18, 2022, 2:34:58 AM6/18/22
to dea...@googlegroups.com

Wang Yuan,

>  I am using extended finite element method to do crack expansion. I have a
> question, can I increase the degree of freedom for the nodes designated around
> the crack in Deal?

Not easily. deal.II enumerates degrees of freedom based on the finite element
used on a cell, so if you want to have extra degrees of freedom, you need to
describe that by using a different element on that cell (using the
hp-framework, in the same way as step-46 for example).

> Meanwhile, another question is can I assign different
> numbers of Gaussian integral points to different elements? Thank you for your
> help!

Yes! You can use a hp::QCollection together with hp::FEValues. Or you can do
it by hand: You create multiple quadrature rules and corresponding FEValues
objects, and then you choose which one is appropriate when you are on a
concrete cell.

Best
W.

Wolfgang Bangerth email: bang...@colostate.edu

Simon Sticko

Jun 18, 2022, 4:49:36 AM6/18/22
to dea...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Since several XFEM papers formulate this as a Heaviside enrichment around the crack, you might find this class useful:

https://www.dealii.org/current/doxygen/deal.II/classFE__Enriched.html

Relating to Wolfgangs answer, note in particular the section "Using enriched and non-enriched FEs together".

Best,
Simon