Tutorials tab on doxygen pages

Joshua Hansel

Sep 12, 2015, 6:06:21 PM9/12/15
to deal.II User Group
Hi,

Maybe I'm blind, but sometimes I have a hard time finding the tutorials page when in the doxygen pages. I eventually manage to find it by clicking on the "Main Page" tab and then finding the link in the first sentence there, but I think a "Tutorials" tab on the doxygen pages would be helpful - it's the page that I (and I imagine plenty others) use most frequently. If it can be done, I think it would save some less experienced users some frustration.

Also, might I suggest a "suggestion" tag for suggested tags in the mailing list (for suggestions that aren't necessarily "feature_request"s)?

Thanks,
Joshua

Wolfgang Bangerth

Sep 13, 2015, 7:14:52 PM9/13/15
to dea...@googlegroups.com

Joshua,

> Maybe I'm blind, but sometimes I have a hard time finding the tutorials page
> when in the doxygen pages. I eventually manage to find it by clicking on the
> "Main Page" tab and then finding the link in the first sentence there, but I
> think a "Tutorials" tab on the doxygen pages would be helpful - it's the page
> that I (and I imagine plenty others) use most frequently. If it can be done, I
> think it would save some less experienced users some frustration.

I've wanted this for a long time, but doxygen makes up the top menu itself and
so I've never figured out how to do it. I've opened an issue for this here:
https://github.com/dealii/dealii/issues/1594
I've dug up a couple of pages on the doxygen homepage that may be relevant and
will post them there in a few minutes.

> Also, might I suggest a "suggestion" tag for suggested tags in the mailing
> list (for suggestions that aren't necessarily "feature_request"s)?

Good idea. I've added such a tag just now.

Best
W.

Wolfgang Bangerth email: bang...@math.tamu.edu

Wolfgang Bangerth

Sep 14, 2015, 9:34:42 AM9/14/15
to dea...@googlegroups.com

> I've wanted this for a long time, but doxygen makes up the top menu itself and
> so I've never figured out how to do it. I've opened an issue for this here:
> https://github.com/dealii/dealii/issues/1594
> I've dug up a couple of pages on the doxygen homepage that may be relevant and
> will post them there in a few minutes.

Sometimes it just takes some searching. Here's the final result:
https://www.dealii.org/developer/doxygen/deal.II/index.html
Better? ;-)

Cheers

Joshua Hansel

Sep 14, 2015, 12:31:08 PM9/14/15
to deal.II User Group
Yes, I saw this today, a great improvement! And I like the addition of the homepage link too - I had been wanting this as well. Thanks!

Konstantin Ladutenko

Sep 16, 2015, 5:26:26 AM9/16/15
to deal.II User Group
It looks like there is some kind of bug - pressing "tutorial" button makrs "Related pages" to be pressed (however, it shows tutorial page).  Checked on Chrome and Firefoxes using Ubuntu.

Wolfgang Bangerth

Sep 16, 2015, 6:54:07 AM9/16/15
to dea...@googlegroups.com
On 09/16/2015 04:26 AM, Konstantin Ladutenko wrote:
> It looks like there is some kind of bug - pressing "tutorial" button makrs
> "Related pages" to be pressed (however, it shows tutorial page). Checked on
> Chrome and Firefoxes using Ubuntu.

I think it's intended to be a "feature" -- when you click on "tutorial", you
end up on a page that is part of the "related pages" tree (because it is
generated using doxygen's '@page' command), which is why the "related pages"
tab lights up. I don't think there is a way to re-classify the tutorials page
as something other than what it is.

I considered an oddity, not something that provides an actual detriment.

Best