Post Processing of an Electrostatic Field

Baoyun Ge

Jul 20, 2017, 6:23:56 PM7/20/17
to deal.II User Group

Dear All,

I am using dealii to solve the electrostatic field governed by Laplace's equation. Right now I have the solution vector, which contains the electrical potential information throughout all the degrees of freedom. I am stuck at the post processing phase, where I want to evaluate the charges on the electrodes. The way I am seeking it is in two steps:

1) evaluating electric field using the electrical potential information;
2) integrating electric field over the surface enclosing the electrode under consideration (Gauss's Law).

Unfortunately, I haven't found too much useful information to guide me to accomplish these two steps. Any information and guidance from you guys would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Baoyun Ge

Wolfgang Bangerth

Jul 20, 2017, 7:16:39 PM7/20/17
to dea...@googlegroups.com, Baoyun Ge
Baoyun, the electrical field is just the gradient of the potential, so this is
easy to evaluate via FEValues::get_function_gradients(). For the integration,
what surface do you want to integrate over? Any surface? A surface that is
composed of faces of cells? The former is difficult, the latter easy to
achieve with the FEFaceValues class.

Best
W.

Wolfgang Bangerth email: bang...@colostate.edu

Baoyun Ge

Jul 21, 2017, 12:47:27 AM7/21/17
to deal.II User Group, yunsha...@gmail.com, bang...@colostate.edu
Hi Professor Bangerth,

Thanks for the quick reply! According to your guidance, I found more useful posts about this topic and finally I referenced the heat flux example and got it work.

By the way, I really appreciate you guys' work on the dealii package. It's a great FEA tool!

Best,
Baoyun Ge