dealii not compiling because of boost geometry problem

Lucas Myers

Oct 20, 2021, 3:18:03 PM10/20/21
to deal.II User Group
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to install dealii on Ubuntu 20.04. For this, I manually installed the latest Boost library first (Boost 1.77.0) as described here. It looks like dealii has found this external boost library, and is set up to install dealii with external dependencies on boost. However, when I try to install dealii I get a big error message with the following highlighted in red:

"error: static assertion failed: This operation is not or not yet implemented."
"BOOST_GEOMETRY_STATIC_ASSERT"
"error: ‘apply’ is not a member of ‘boost::geometry::dispatch::distance<dealii::Point<1>, dealii::Point<1>, boost::geometry::strategies::distance::detail::comparable<boost::geometry::strategies::distance::cartesian<> >, boost::geometry::point_tag, boost::geometry::point_tag, boost::geometry::strategy_tag_distance_point_point, false>’"

Installing with the bundled boost library seems to work, but I would really rather have the external boost library to use.

Any suggestions on what the problem might be? Could it be that I installed boost incorrectly? Is there any other information that I can give to help with debugging?

Kind regards,
Lucas

Bruno Turcksin

Oct 20, 2021, 3:25:09 PM10/20/21