Configuration with Adol-C fails with wrong version

Oleg Kmechak

Oct 8, 2018, 8:17:05 AM10/8/18
to deal.II User Group
Hello developers,

Building of DEAL.II from source(9.1.0) with option DEALII_WITH_ADOLC turned on demands version of Adolc 2.6.4 and higher, but official site of Adolc holds only version 2.6.3 also I looked around of other repos for adolc on GitHub and GitLab and there the last version is also 2.6.3.

Regards,
Oleg Kmechak

Bruno Turcksin

Oct 8, 2018, 8:24:48 AM10/8/18
to deal.II User Group
Oleg,

On Monday, October 8, 2018 at 8:17:05 AM UTC-4, Oleg Kmechak wrote:
Building of DEAL.II from source(9.1.0) with option DEALII_WITH_ADOLC turned on demands version of Adolc 2.6.4 and higher, but official site of Adolc holds only version 2.6.3 also I looked around of other repos for adolc on GitHub and GitLab and there the last version is also 2.6.3.
Yes, deal.II requires the development version of adol-c. By the time we release deal.II 9.1.0, adol-c 2.6.4 should be out that's why the documentation already refers to that version.

Best,

Bruno

Jean-Paul Pelteret

Oct 8, 2018, 8:26:13 AM10/8/18
to dea...@googlegroups.com
Dear Oleg,

Please see this recently closed issue on our GitHub repository:

There have been some patches that have been recently submitted upstream to fix some bugs in the most recent release. You should install the development version of ADOL-C to enable this feature.

Best,
Jean-Paul

Oleg Kmechak

Oct 8, 2018, 9:13:52 PM10/8/18
to deal.II User Group
Thanks for answer, also I founded another clue here there is link on development 2.6.4 version, and as I realized DEAL.II boost conflicts with adol-c boost so the last one I should be set up wit flag --without-boost

With regards,
Oleg Kmechak

Jean-Paul Pelteret

Oct 8, 2018, 11:33:21 PM10/8/18
to dea...@googlegroups.com
If you build boost externally then you could point ADOL-C to it (--with-boost="${BOOST_DIR}) and deal.II (-DBOOST_DIR=${BOOST_DIR}) as well.

I would also highly encourage you to build ADOL-C with the --enable-traceless-refcounting flag enabled if you plan on using their tapeless type. We are in the process of adding some classes to help make using AD in the context of finite elements easier. The ADOL-C developers recently removed a whole bunch of error checking in the interest of speed, and when this flag is enabled it reinstates these error checking capabilities and allows us to ensure that the ADOL-C environment is being initialised correctly.

Best,
Jean-Paul

Oleg Kmechak

Oct 9, 2018, 9:34:08 AM10/9/18
to deal.II User Group
If you build boost externally then you could point ADOL-C to it (--with-boost="${BOOST_DIR}) and deal.II (-DBOOST_DIR=${BOOST_DIR}) as well.

Boost was set up from libboost-all-dev package, and both DEAL.II and ADOL-C are configured to use this package, but at cmake generation phase DEAL.II throws that it can procced cos ADOL-C uses boost. But it isn't problem for me, jus FYI.

With regards,
Oleg Kmechak