Deal for Mac OS 10.13

Deepak Kukrety

Oct 10, 2017, 6:36:43 AM10/10/17
to deal.II User Group
Hi All

Good day!

I am trying to install Deal.ii on an iMac. I recently upgraded to the latest version of Mac OS, 10.13 and as far as I could understand the version of Deal.ii presently available is not compatible with the latest OS. Is there a workaround this situation or should I wait for a new Deal.ii release. If so, when is the new inhaler likely to be available.

Thanks in advance

Deepak

Alberto Salvadori

Oct 10, 2017, 6:46:18 AM10/10/17
to dea...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I had a similar problem. It looks like that deal.ii is currently not compatible with Xcode 9. You can however install both Xcode9 (just rename it) and an older version of Xcode8.x
This sorted out all issues to me. Hope it helps.

Alberto

Alberto Salvadori
 Dipartimento di Ingegneria Civile, Architettura, Territorio, Ambiente e di Matematica (DICATAM)
 Universita` di Brescia, via Branze 43, 25123 Brescia
 Italy
 tel 030 3711239
 fax 030 3711312

e-mail:
 alberto....@unibs.it
web-pages:
 http://m4lab.unibs.it/faculty.html
 http://dicata.ing.unibs.it/salvadori

Informativa sulla Privacy: http://www.unibs.it/node/8155

Denis Davydov

Oct 10, 2017, 7:38:42 AM10/10/17
to deal.II User Group
Hi,

I successfully build deal.II with all dependencies on macOS High Sierra XCode 9 with Spack https://github.com/dealii/dealii/wiki/deal.II-in-Spack  (Clang 9.0 + gfortran from GCC 7.2.0)
BUT you would need to wait until this PR with minor fixes is merged: https://github.com/LLNL/spack/pull/5647 upstream.

Regards,
Denis.

Daniel Arndt

Oct 10, 2017, 8:53:37 AM10/10/17
to deal.II User Group
Alberto and Deepak,

what exactly are the problems you are facing?
What kind of errors do you get?

Best,
Daniel

Alberto Salvadori

Oct 11, 2017, 2:30:11 AM10/11/17
to deal.II User Group
Hi Daniel.

After installation of High Sierra, Xcode9, upgrading cmake and using deal.ii/8.5.1 provided by Timo, I run usual regression tests that worked well under Xcode8.x.
It turned out that they could not be linked anymore with this error (sorry for the code name):

make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.12.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework', needed by `crap_code'.  Stop.

make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/crap_code.dir/all] Error 2

make: *** [all] Error 2

The simplest code that I attempted to run was the hello world, which run fine without being linked to deal.ii libraries but that provided the very same error with deal.ii.
Hope it helps

Alberto

Luca Heltai

Oct 11, 2017, 2:44:15 AM10/11/17
to dea...@googlegroups.com
Alberto,

In the options of xcode, you should be able to install also the 10.12 sdk. Can you try that?

Luca
Informativa sulla Privacy: http://www.unibs.it/node/8155

Alberto Salvadori

luca.heltai

Oct 11, 2017, 3:21:15 AM10/11/17
to Deal.II Users
Yes. It is trying to use the accelerate framework, but since it was installed using 10.12, it links to that one.

If you install the 10.12 SDK you should have what you need.

L.

> --
>

> Informativa sulla Privacy: http://www.unibs.it/node/8155

Deepak Kukrety

Oct 11, 2017, 6:25:19 AM10/11/17
to deal.II User Group
Alberto

I am having similar problem as posted by Alberto.

Luca

Thanks for the suggestion. I am new to both Mac OS and Deal. Can you possibly advise how may I install 10.12 SDK. Would it mean reverting to an older version of the OS for iMac as well?

Regards
Deepak

Luca Heltai

Oct 11, 2017, 6:29:33 AM10/11/17
to dea...@googlegroups.com
No need to revert OS. Xcode comes with developers toolkits. Newer versions of xcode allow users to develop codes for older macs. In order to do that, you have to install the corresponding developers toolkit. Namely 10.12.

I never tried this, but it should work. The other way around is more difficult, I.e., it's difficult to make the package work on an older Mac with 10.y, y<12.

Luca