Using some delta_t in embedded RK

Praveen C

Apr 20, 2024, 8:05:30 AMApr 20
to Deal. II Googlegroup
Hello

I am using embedded RK scheme

https://www.dealii.org/current/doxygen/deal.II/classTimeStepping_1_1EmbeddedExplicitRungeKutta.html

which chooses the time step in some adaptive manner.

I also want to save solution to file at some intervals, e.g., at t = 1.0, 2.0, etc for which sometimes I have to use a definite delta_t so I exactly reach the next time I need to save the solution.

I could not figure out how to force evolve_one_time_step to sometimes use the given delta_t.

Do you have any suggestion for this ?

Thanks
praveen

Wolfgang Bangerth

Apr 20, 2024, 11:58:14 AMApr 20
to dea...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure these classes were designed for this kind of thing. My suggestion
would be to use the very much more sophisticated interfaces to SUNDIALS and
PETSc's TS sub-system. See also
https://github.com/dealii/dealii/pull/15540

Best
W.

Wolfgang Bangerth email: bang...@colostate.edu

Praveen C

Apr 21, 2024, 7:25:57 AMApr 21
to Deal. II Googlegroup

With the embedded RK in dealii, I could still control this by resetting max_delta whenever I want to use a fixed delta_t.

Thanks, I will check out Petsc TS which I have some experience with. I have to still use same method as above, reset max_delta.

Arkode seems to give a output_period variable which can be used to control when solution output is done.

best
praveen

Tomas Fernandez Bouvier

Jun 13, 2024, 8:49:50 AMJun 13
to deal.II User Group
Hi,

Could you share the solution ? I would like to implement timestepping using petsc in step-26 and it doesnt seem trivial to me. I didn't find any example.

Thank you

Wolfgang Bangerth

Jun 13, 2024, 11:36:49 AMJun 13
to dea...@googlegroups.com
On 6/13/24 03:02, Tomas Fernandez Bouvier wrote:

> Could you share the solution ? I would like to implement timestepping using
> petsc in step-26 and it doesnt seem trivial to me. I didn't find any example.

You will be interested in this pull request which I still hope we can get into
the next release:

Tomas Fernandez Bouvier

Jun 14, 2024, 9:10:33 AMJun 14
to deal.II User Group
Yes! Cannot wait for the next release. I tried to download and compile the unreleased example but there were errors. Thank you for your help!