Average of shape 3rd derivatives function?

Sean Carney

Jun 21, 2024, 10:59:01 AM (12 days ago) Jun 21
to deal.II User Group
Hello,

I'm in the process of implementing a DG method for a 4th order problem, which requires access to the average of the third derivative of the finite element functions across an interface. I notice that the FEInterfaceValues class has a "jump_in_shape_3rd_derivatives" function, but not the corresponding function for the average.

Any suggestions for how to implement this, specifically in the context of [the face_worker part] the MeshWorker framework?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Best regards,
-Sean

Wolfgang Bangerth

Jun 22, 2024, 7:13:59 PM (11 days ago) Jun 22
to dea...@googlegroups.com
On 6/20/24 22:04, Sean Carney wrote:

> I'm in the process of implementing a DG method for a 4th order problem, which
> requires access to the average of the third derivative of the finite element
> functions across an interface. I notice that the FEInterfaceValues class has a
> "jump_in_shape_3rd_derivatives" function, but not the corresponding function
> for the average.
>
> Any suggestions for how to implement this, specifically in the context of [the
> face_worker part] the MeshWorker framework?

Sean:
If you take a look at how the corresponding functions for the second
derivatives (Hessians) are implemented here
https://github.com/dealii/dealii/blob/master/include/deal.II/fe/fe_interface_values.h#L3420-L3445
and here
https://github.com/dealii/dealii/blob/master/include/deal.II/fe/fe_interface_values.h#L3477-L3502
then you will pretty immediately see how the implementation of the jump in
third derivatives in
https://github.com/dealii/dealii/blob/master/include/deal.II/fe/fe_interface_values.h#L3449-L3473
can be extended to compute the average.

It would of course be great if you could make that a patch to deal.II that we
could include in the next release!

Best
Wolfgang

Wolfgang Bangerth email: bang...@colostate.edu

Sean Carney

Jun 24, 2024, 1:40:13 PM (9 days ago) Jun 24
to deal.II User Group
Wolfgang,

Thank you for pointing me to these locations in the source code, that is very helpful!

It is quite simple to mimic what is happening in "average_of_shape_hessians" and "jump_in_shape_3rd_derivatives"
to write a function "average_of_shape_3rd_derivatives".

I am re-compling deal.ii right now with the changes I made; when it's done I will test the implementation.

If and when the function works, I will follow the instructions here for contributing a patch:

Best regards,
-Sean

Wolfgang Bangerth

Jun 24, 2024, 2:16:16 PM (9 days ago) Jun 24
to dea...@googlegroups.com
On 6/24/24 11:25, Sean Carney wrote:

> Thank you for pointing me to these locations in the source code, that is very
> helpful!
>
> It is quite simple to mimic what is happening in "average_of_shape_hessians"
> and "jump_in_shape_3rd_derivatives"
> to write a function "average_of_shape_3rd_derivatives".
>
> I am re-compling deal.ii right now with the changes I made; when it's done I
> will test the implementation.
>
> If and when the function works, I will follow the instructions here for
> contributing a patch:
> https://github.com/dealii/dealii/wiki/Contributing

Fantastic, we look forward to the patch!
Best
W.