step-6. Adaptive Refinement and Hanging nodes. On hyper cube mesh looks like hanging nodes are not constrained.

Oleg Kmechak

Mar 6, 2020, 1:55:50 PM3/6/20
to deal.II User Group
Hello everyone,

I found such behaviour on step-6: if I use hyper_ball triangulation as it is by default in step-6, then solution is ok and continuosus:

ball.png

But if I change triangulation to hyper_cube, it looks like some hanging nodes are not constraied. Or it is just Paraview artefact?

cube.png

Best,
Oleg Kmechak

Oleg Kmechak

Mar 6, 2020, 2:07:13 PM3/6/20
to deal.II User Group
UPD: Looks like bug, AFAIK paraview has some strange visualization of quadrangle if their nodes are not on same surface, but I tried some processing of results: contour plot and it is discontinuous:

contour_bug.png

Best,

Oleg

Wolfgang Bangerth

Mar 6, 2020, 2:19:40 PM3/6/20
to dea...@googlegroups.com
On 3/6/20 11:55 AM, Oleg Kmechak wrote:

> But if I change triangulation to hyper_cube, it looks like some hanging
> nodes are not constraied. Or it is just Paraview artefact?

It's an artifact. The solution is piecewise quadratic, but what you
output (and what paraview visualizes for you) is a piecewise linear
interpolation of the solution.

You might want to read the documentation of the DataOut::build_patches()
function for more information about how you can get closer to seeing
what actually happens in the program.

Best
W.

Wolfgang Bangerth email: bang...@colostate.edu