How to implement total remeshing

Amir Pasha

May 13, 2017, 3:08:34 AM5/13/17
to deal.II User Group
Dear all

I want to implement a total remeshing technique when large deformations are involved. I am using the updated Lagrangian method so that the integration is performed at current configuration (mesh is moved to current configuration) to simulate a material damage process. Due to material damage, deformation is localized in a narrow band and mesh is distorted in the damaged area. What are the general step for implementation total remeshing?

1) Create a new mesh based on the current configuration using an external library such as gmesh
2) Move the old mesh to the initial configuration
3) Transfer data to the new mesh

Best regards
Pasha

Wolfgang Bangerth

May 13, 2017, 10:13:50 AM5/13/17
to dea...@googlegroups.com
Yes, these are the steps. None of them are entirely trivial, though for the
last step you can at least use the FEFieldFunction class if you store both the
old and the new mesh.

You may also want to think about using a mesh improvement library instead of
completely remeshing. Take a look at the Mesquite library that's part of
Trilinos, for example.

Best
W.

Wolfgang Bangerth email: bang...@colostate.edu

Amir Pasha

May 14, 2017, 3:01:07 AM5/14/17
to deal.II User Group, bang...@colostate.edu
Thank you. Is there any representative example for Mesquite application or total remeshing?

Wolfgang Bangerth

May 14, 2017, 10:32:00 AM5/14/17
to dea...@googlegroups.com
On 05/14/2017 01:01 AM, Amir Pasha wrote:
> Thank you. Is there any representative example for Mesquite application or
> total remeshing?

None in deal.II that I know of. But Mesquite surely has some tutorials.