error: installation of dealii using spack

Simon

Jul 6, 2022, 9:38:49 AM7/6/22
to deal.II User Group
Dear all:

I already have an older version of dealii installed and wanted to install now a newer version of dealii including all the dependencies using the command
'spack install dealii'.

Many dependencies are installed successfully (see "spack_error.png"), however, the installation of dealii itself failes at some point.
The error message states that I should have a look in the file "spack-build-out.txt", which I attached as well.
In there, there are indeed a bunch of error messages, which refer to a similar message that too few arguments are passed to certain functions.

How can I fix this?

Thanks you,
Simon
spack-build-out.txt
spack_error.PNG

Daniel Arndt

Jul 6, 2022, 10:01:42 AM7/6/22
to dea...@googlegroups.com
Simon,

It looks like all the errors are related to the Sundials dependency (release 6.0.0). Looking at https://github.com/dealii/dealii/pull/13918, it seems that you need the latest deal.II release (9.4.0) to support that Sundials version.
If you don't anticipate needing it I would just turn the dependency off if I were you.

Best,
Daniel

Jean-Paul Pelteret

Jul 6, 2022, 4:05:53 PM7/6/22
to dea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon,

Daniel is right — only Sundials versions 5 through 5.8 are compatible with deal.II 9.3.2, while Sundials 6 is compatible with 9.3.4 onwards. This is in fact what is stated in the Spack package, so I don’t quite know how it is that you’re able to get this mixed configuration:
The spack package has now been updated for deal.II 9.4, so you should be able to update the repo and install the latest version of deal.II without having to worry about the Sundials version.

Best,
Jean-Paul