Getting error during cmake configuration step and later during make run

Vikram Bhamidipati

May 14, 2017, 7:45:21 PM5/14/17
to deal.II User Group
I am new to dealii. I installed deal.II 8.5.0 using the dmg package from dealii website on mac OS Sierra. When I tried to configure I got this error:

CMake Error at /Applications/deal.II-8.5-brew.app/Contents/Resources/brew/Cellar/cmake/3.7.2/share/cmake/Modules/CMakeTestCXXCompiler.cmake:44 (message):
  The C++ compiler
  "/Applications/deal.II-8.5-brew.app/Contents/Resources/brew/bin/mpicxx" is
  not able to compile a simple test program.

  It fails with the following output:

   Change Dir: /Users/vikramb/Documents/dealII/svn_co/deal.II/examples/step-1/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

  Run Build Command:"/usr/bin/make" "cmTC_5fce3/fast"

  /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make -f
  CMakeFiles/cmTC_5fce3.dir/build.make CMakeFiles/cmTC_5fce3.dir/build

  Building CXX object CMakeFiles/cmTC_5fce3.dir/testCXXCompiler.cxx.o

  /Applications/deal.II-8.5-brew.app/Contents/Resources/brew/bin/mpicxx -o
  CMakeFiles/cmTC_5fce3.dir/testCXXCompiler.cxx.o -c
  /Users/vikramb/Documents/dealII/svn_co/deal.II/examples/step-1/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/testCXXCompiler.cxx

  make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/cmTC_5fce3.dir/testCXXCompiler.cxx.o] Illegal
  instruction: 4

  make: *** [cmTC_5fce3/fast] Error 2

To workaround this I changed the CXX compiler option though ccmake. I was able to successfully configure and build. However when I ran I got this error:

make[3]: *** [CMakeFiles/run] Illegal instruction: 4
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/run.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/run.dir/rule] Error 2
make: *** [run] Error 2

Can anyone tell what I am not doing right?

Thanks,
Vikram

Daniel Arndt

May 15, 2017, 7:25:38 AM5/15/17
to deal.II User Group
Vikram,
If CMake failed, there should exist
CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log
CMakeOutput.log
detailed.log
in the build directory. Can you send these files?

Best,
Daniel

Vikram Bhamidipati

May 16, 2017, 8:12:40 AM5/16/17
to deal.II User Group
Daniel,

Thanks for your reply. I am attaching 2 files. I do not see detailed.log file anywhere in the build directory.

Vikram
CMakeOutput.log
CMakeError.log

Vikram Bhamidipati

May 17, 2017, 2:09:42 PM5/17/17
to deal.II User Group
Hi,

When googling I found the following info:

https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/17372

Could it be that the installer for v8.5.0 was not built for mac os x Sierra? Anyone having a success running on Sierra?

Thanks,
Vikram

Vikram Bhamidipati

May 18, 2017, 2:07:13 PM5/18/17
to deal.II User Group
I finally abandoned using the terminal that comes with the installer and followed +Daniel Arndt's instructions for homebrew on mac os x (https://github.com/dealii/dealii/wiki/deal.II-on-Homebrew---Linuxbrew) and was able to successfully configure, build and run the example.

Thank you,
Vikram

Jean-Paul Pelteret

May 18, 2017, 4:44:43 PM5/18/17
to deal.II User Group
Hi Vikram,

I'm sorry that you've encountered trouble using the MacOS package. I see that there might have been some issues with regards to the bundling of the package, but I'm not actually sure if they're related. I have no experience with this package, so there will be no guesses from me as to where things might be going wrong. I'm glad to hear that you managed to install it through Homebrew though.

Regards,
Jean-Paul

Vikram Bhamidipati

May 19, 2017, 5:46:24 PM5/19/17
to deal.II User Group
Hi Jean-Paul,

Thank you for that link. Glad to know I was not the only one to have that issue (illegal instruction 4). Hope the underlying cause is identified in some later version of the installer.

Thanks,
Vikram
Message has been deleted