use Github Projects feature

Denis Davydov

Oct 13, 2016, 4:59:10 PM10/13/16
to deal.II developers
In September Github has rolled out a few new features, one of the is Projects tab: https://github.com/blog/2256-a-whole-new-github-universe-announcing-new-tools-forums-and-features
From the interface it appears to be more handy than simply tagging issues/PRs.
One can prioretize issues/PRs and shift things around. Essentially it's a way to organize Issues and PRs for a better visualization and prioritisation.

I think this could be used for: (i) upcoming release (ii) starter projects (iii) big milestones like full complex-valued support.

p.s. one can also gather all comments on a PR into a single review and do one of the following: ask for changes / approve / just comment. I like this feature as well.

Cheers,
Denis.

Matthias Maier

Oct 13, 2016, 8:31:08 PM10/13/16
to dealii-d...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Oct 13, 2016, at 15:59 CDT, Denis Davydov <davy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> p.s. one can also gather all comments on a PR into a single review and do
> one of the following: ask for changes / approve / just comment. I like this
> feature as well.

Yes, especially the "approve" and "ask for changes" features are very
nice additions.

We had a few cases of misunderstandings in the past where it simply
wasn't clear whether someone simply commented, or asked for a
change. So, now we can - and should - make that obvious and clear. :-)

Further, the grouping feature shouldn't be underestimated!

Best,
Matthias

Ps.: Denis, I am disappointed. You forgot to mention the most important
feature. You can add emoticons to comments of others :-P

Denis Davydov

Oct 14, 2016, 1:39:42 AM10/14/16
to deal.II developers
You will be surprised, but there is a reason for me not mentioning it.... it is not a part of September updated :-))))

David Wells

Oct 14, 2016, 2:30:16 PM10/14/16
to deal.II developers
I think that it might be useful to migrate some of the issues over to the 'projects' (i.e., kanban) board. Would people be interested in making this change to our workflow?

I am not an expert in workflows but I think we could benefit from a finer distinction between 'ongoing projects' and 'open issues'.

Denis Davydov

Oct 16, 2016, 12:22:05 PM10/16/16
to deal.II developers

On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 8:30:16 PM UTC+2, David Wells wrote:
I think that it might be useful to migrate some of the issues over to the 'projects' (i.e., kanban) board. Would people be interested in making this change to our workflow?

I think it is a good idea to use in full the GUI.

I am not an expert in workflows but I think we could benefit from a finer distinction between 'ongoing projects' and 'open issues'.

agreed. It's fine to use "mets" issues to group other issues, but they are not really issues per-se.

p.s. I tried creating a Project for complex algebra, but either I don't have rights to assign issues/PRs to the project, or something is wrong on GitHub.

Regards,
Denis.

Denis Davydov

Oct 16, 2016, 12:35:31 PM10/16/16
to deal.II developers

On Sunday, October 16, 2016 at 6:22:05 PM UTC+2, Denis Davydov wrote:

p.s. I tried creating a Project for complex algebra, but either I don't have rights to assign issues/PRs to the project, or something is wrong on GitHub.

Figured it out -- you need to add issues/PRs on Project page, not for each PR like a label.
So I create a project with 3 columns (TODO, In Progress, Done).

David Wells

Oct 17, 2016, 2:57:18 PM10/17/16
to deal.II developers
Looks good :)

Denis Davydov

Nov 2, 2016, 4:39:11 PM11/2/16
to deal.II developers
I create a project for Tpetra https://github.com/dealii/dealii/projects/4
Feel free to add there anything (PR/issues) which will have to do with supporting Tpetra.

Cheers,
Denis.

Denis Davydov

Nov 2, 2016, 4:42:11 PM11/2/16
to deal.II developers
Forgot to say, one does not have to create an issue or PR to add to the project,
it's also possible just add notes/ideas. I created a few dummy notes to illustrate this.