authors.html format

Timo Heister

Mar 23, 2017, 3:39:30 PM3/23/17
to deal.II developers
Hey all,

the AUTHORS file for a specific release (see
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_dealii_dealii_blob_dealii-2D8.4_AUTHORS&d=DwIBaQ&c=Ngd-ta5yRYsqeUsEDgxhcqsYYY1Xs5ogLxWPA_2Wlc4&r=bIZ1PN9GFeiDFVPWRQ7rHwsFOCnh0BavuhRERQ4RDWGqJOxfLu0FfCOxyifWO5wc&m=puLyHrLG-0I2mb3GlhSy8fw8Zh5Uy4NZEuglia1sknM&s=SW2IV7CFJlag6Wpb7_CXIAaXftdJrEJg6IP24P3oxT8&e= for the last
example) is built manually from https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.dealii.org_authors.html&d=DwIBaQ&c=Ngd-ta5yRYsqeUsEDgxhcqsYYY1Xs5ogLxWPA_2Wlc4&r=bIZ1PN9GFeiDFVPWRQ7rHwsFOCnh0BavuhRERQ4RDWGqJOxfLu0FfCOxyifWO5wc&m=puLyHrLG-0I2mb3GlhSy8fw8Zh5Uy4NZEuglia1sknM&s=d8tjNXJVl3idAE4vWr87zDtPnckT04J1jpcQM9puyys&e=
which we need to update before every release. The problem is that
authors.html contains a description on what the contributions are.

I would vote to remove these descriptions from authors.html for the
following reasons:
1. a lot of work to maintain
2. most of them are likely out of date already anyways
3. less work for release paper, release announcement, and AUTHORS file.

Sounds good?

--
Timo Heister
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~heister/

Matthias Maier

Mar 23, 2017, 3:49:56 PM3/23/17
to dealii-d...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good to me.

Wolfgang Bangerth

Mar 23, 2017, 4:21:29 PM3/23/17
to dealii-d...@googlegroups.com

> I would vote to remove these descriptions from authors.html for the
> following reasons:
> 1. a lot of work to maintain

Yes, that's funny -- I looked at updating it for the release and
realized how much work it is going to be because I needed to figure out
what each of the people did. I then decided to do something else :-)

> 2. most of them are likely out of date already anyways

Maybe not, but that's besides the point.

> Sounds good?

Sounds good.

W.

Wolfgang Bangerth email: bang...@colostate.edu

Matthias Maier

Mar 23, 2017, 4:41:23 PM3/23/17
to dealii-d...@googlegroups.com

> Yes, that's funny -- I looked at updating it for the release and
> realized how much work it is going to be because I needed to figure
> out what each of the people did. I then decided to do something else
> :-)

That made my day!

Daniel Arndt

Mar 24, 2017, 6:01:00 AM3/24/17