Current state of issue tracker

Matthias Maier

May 28, 2017, 1:46:32 AM5/28/17
to dealii-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

not gonna open another issue for that :-)

Just wondering whether it's just me or do others also feel the current
state of open issues (~190) for deal.II a bit overwhelming?

As it is we're currently gaining quite a substantial number of new
issues per quarter and after more than two years on Github I'd say its
safe to say with primarily two outcomes:
- issues that are resolved rather quickly
- issues no one ever looks after again.

So what shall we do with the old cruft?

I'd say for example that quite a number of enhancement might better be
put into a wiki page. But I'm not exactly sure :-/

Alternatively, some smarter "label" handling? [1]

Best,
Matthias

[1] I miss a few nice features from more traditional bug trackers like
components, but maybe I am just way too much used to bugzilla.

Denis Davydov

May 29, 2017, 10:32:43 AM5/29/17
to deal.II developers
I think it's fine to accumulate issues on Github. We just need to use labels for each new one.
As soon as you have more issues than can be shown on a single page it does not really matter how many are there, IMO,
you would have to filter them out using something or search for keywords to navigate.

On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 7:46:32 AM UTC+2, Matthias Maier wrote:
Hi all,

not gonna open another issue for that :-)

Just wondering whether it's just me or do others also feel the current
state of open issues (~190) for deal.II a bit overwhelming?

As it is we're currently gaining quite a substantial number of new
issues per quarter and after more than two years on Github I'd say its
safe to say with primarily two outcomes:
 - issues that are resolved rather quickly
 - issues no one ever looks after again.

So what shall we do with the old cruft?

nothing. Most of those not being fixed are still good documentation of what is to be done one day.
My only concern is having a back-up somewhere, but that's not important at the moment.

I'd say for example that quite a number of enhancement might better be
put into a wiki page. But I'm not exactly sure :-/

i would not do that as you can't really discuss thing in a wiki page.

Alternatively, some smarter "label" handling? [1]

I find it OK to have one-to-many relationship between an issue and labels.
If you need to group several issues into a project which has a single theme, then
or do a meta-issues which group several issues (old-fashioned way, if I may say so).

Bottom line: nothing to worry about, use labels / extend them if needed.

Regards,
Denis.

Wolfgang Bangerth

May 29, 2017, 12:17:32 PM5/29/17
to dealii-d...@googlegroups.com, Matthias Maier

> not gonna open another issue for that :-)
>
> Just wondering whether it's just me or do others also feel the current
> state of open issues (~190) for deal.II a bit overwhelming?
>
> As it is we're currently gaining quite a substantial number of new
> issues per quarter and after more than two years on Github I'd say its
> safe to say with primarily two outcomes:
> - issues that are resolved rather quickly
> - issues no one ever looks after again.
>
> So what shall we do with the old cruft?
>
> I'd say for example that quite a number of enhancement might better be
> put into a wiki page. But I'm not exactly sure :-/

I do like the idea of keeping some "starter projects" around. But it's true
that some of the enhancement requests are not trivial and will likely not be
implemented anytime soon, if ever.

I think the difficulty is to figure out where to draw the line between things
we want to keep and those we don't.

Cheers
W.

Wolfgang Bangerth email: bang...@colostate.edu

Tobi Young

May 31, 2017, 7:45:16 AM5/31/17
to dealii-d...@googlegroups.com

Here's an idea. What if we place those 'sorry, unlikely to happen any time soon' requests onto the wiki page and invite users to open an issue on github, if and only if they have a vision for its implementation?

That way, the backlog of git issues (that obscure *real* issues) gets significantly shortened, but we keep the ideas around and promote discussion, when it is wanted from a user with a plan.

That's my cents worth. :-)

Best,
   Toby